Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Leasing Land

bowhunter5

Hey guys, not sure if this is the place to post, but looking for some land to lease. 80-300 AC. Preferably Southern- South Central - Southwest Region
Seems like it gets harder by the year.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Most Private ground is probably not sitting idle, lots of it is probably already leased, personally used or being used by family/friends, or they don't want the liability or dealing with someone on the ground. You're looking for the remaining land. Good luck. Nw Missouri is like that as well, i have people asking me all the time if i know of ground for lease. It's tough.

Finding good lease ground is definitely tough. Demand is high and supply is low. Last year was the first time I have ever leased ground and from a security cover stand point the ground was marginal 120 Acres, 102 in row crops, a few wooded ditches and a 15 acre patch of woods. It didn’t hold many deer but I was impressed by the bucks that traveled across it. I have been looking for lease ground with a little more in security cover (in the same region as you) but the supply of quality ground is definitely low...at any size or price point. That being said, I can’t honestly say I have hit it extremely hard this year seeking it out as I have just been too tied up with work. Hope you find what you are looking for!

Sure seems to be the case. Which is bizarre because Iowa is made up of deer country. You think a landowner would want a little extra $$$
It’s actually about the least amount of “deer country” vs 10+ surrounding states in Midwest. Remember - it’s 6% timber/forest in iowa. There’s no shortage of hunters for that area. It’s tough. Absolutely u can find something- just gonna be a lot of digging & depends how deep those pockets are. Best bet or situation is connecting with NRLO who would like some funds in years they don’t draw. Maybe someone on here takes notice. Good luck!!

skip has the best idea I'd say. NRLO looking to help cash flow on years they don't draw I think would be good deal both sides.
I would certainly consider it if I had dirt there.

Rec land prices in IA seem to have gone absolute bananas in the past year. I thought I finally was in position to buy something 50-80 acres, but not anymore. Prices seem to have jumped from $2900/acre or so on the low end to $4500/acre high end to now hardly seeing anything listed for less than $4500/acre, many 80 and smaller sizes are up over 5k/acre and not very many listings either.

Look at this that I just saw posted yesterday, this is insane, not even income on this and a road cuts through it. There has to be a correction soon I would think. The past decade it seemed $3200-$3800/acre was the norm. There's hardly anything under 4k now.

Last edited:
Rec land prices in IA seem to have gone absolute bananas in the past year. I thought I finally was in position to buy something 50-80 acres, but not anymore. Prices seem to have jumped from $2900/acre or so on the low end to $4500/acre high end to now hardly seeing anything listed for less than $4500/acre, many 80 and smaller sizes are up over 5k/acre and not very many listings either.

Look at this that I just saw posted yesterday, this is insane, not even income on this and a road cuts through it. There has to be a correction soon I would think. The past decade it seemed $3200-$3800/acre was the norm. There's hardly anything under 4k now.

You can count on a few things..... TAXES... DEATH.... They probably will tax you after you die..... & CYCLES IN MARKET...... It's all up right now... EVERYTHING!!! It'll correct.... no one knows when.... & to what degree????.... No one knows that part either. We probably are sitting on some high land values for year or 2 if I had to guess.

With all of that- are leasing prices going up as well???? MY BEST GUT REACTION SAYS "I'm sure it'll go SOME".... Lot of $ & pent up demand to be outside, on farms & hunt/use land right now....

Top Bottom