Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

like 3 years overdue.

Benelliblaster

I have been a member here about 3 years and never introduced myself. I really enjoy the site and all the helpful information that comes along with it. I am from eastern iowa, I started hunting gun season with my dad and uncle when I was 12 near garber in clayton county on my uncles farm. Didnt start bowhunting until I was 21, im 24 now and totally hooked. The farm in clayton county has been sold but I still manage to get into a few spots to get my deer. I have always been crazy about the outdoors, since I was old enough I was out hunting anything and everything I could. Im also an avid angler, but prefer fly fishing over any of it. Caught my biggest rainbow at bankston this summer (29 inches!). Anyways, felt like a little introduction was in order. Great site, thanks for having me!

Welcome BB - sounds like you're telling the story of my life! ;)

I really enjoy the site and all the helpful information that comes along with it.
Same here

I am from eastern iowa, I started hunting gun season with my dad and uncle when I was 12...on my uncles farm
Check

Didnt start bowhunting until I was 21
Almost exactly with me - check!

I have always been crazy about the outdoors, since I was old enough I was out hunting anything and everything I could. I'm also an avid angler, but prefer fly fishing over any of it.
Big 10-4 on that one too! :way:

Caught my biggest rainbow at bankston this summer (29 inches!)
Have NOT even came close to 29" with a trout yet - still looking for my first true 20" trout in Iowa - close, but no cigar

Anyways, welcome to the site! :way:

Pretty soon you'll be 35, married with 3 kids! :way:

Im also an avid angler, but prefer fly fishing over any of it. Caught my biggest rainbow at bankston this summer (29 inches!).

Welcome! Same here with fishing! Come on out west for some of the best fly fishing you'll ever experience! When I'm not fishing for my kids, I almost exclusively carry my fly rods anymore. I won't go on vacation without taking my fly rods with me.

Thanks guys, and thats way cool gladiator, knew I wasnt alone and before that 29 incher my biggest was maybe 14. I wish I could post pictures from my phone I have a few of him. Got him on a hares ear.

Welcome! Come on out west for some of the best fly fishing you'll ever experience! When I'm not fishing for my kids, I almost exclusively carry my fly rods anymore. I won't go on vacation without taking my fly rods with me.

Would love to make it out there, im planning a trip to montana next year, we'll see how it goes.

Welcome. It really is a great site, lots of top notch hunters with alot of experience and knowledge to share.

On the fly fishing side of things, was out in Wyoming late july this year......phenomenal. The west has some spectacular fly fishing.

Good luck this fall :way:

Thanks! Question on the fly fishing, I have been fly fishing since I was 16, guess you could say I was self taught (spent my share of time in the trees), but ive gotten to point where I can put a woolly bugger where I want it and thats not the problem. My question is would you recommend a guide for chasing natural trout out west as far as the "match the hatch" goes? Im sure I could manage but fly fishing around here on stocked fish is probably very different from natural im sure. I think these fish will hit anything that resembles a bug if ya cant drop it in front of them.

I absolutely would recommend a guide, at least for a half-day trip. A good guide will teach you the local hatches and times as well as what flies work all around. I've been very spoiled in that a couple of friends are excellent guides or just long-time natives to a few good streams, so I've never had to hire one. If I ever hit some of bucket-list streams (Blackfoot, Henry's Fork, Salmon, Green, etc.), I'll be hiring a guide to show me the ropes at first. Plus, some of the western states have very weird water-access laws and a guide will know where you can/can't fish!

I absolutely would recommend a guide, at least for a half-day trip. A good guide will teach you the local hatches and times as well as what flies work all around. I've been very spoiled in that a couple of friends are excellent guides or just long-time natives to a few good streams, so I've never had to hire one. If I ever hit some of bucket-list streams (Blackfoot, Henry's Fork, Salmon, Green, etc.), I'll be hiring a guide to show me the ropes at first. Plus, some of the western states have very weird water-access laws and a guide will know where you can/can't fish!

Thanks AZ. Thats what I will do!

Top Bottom