Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking for eastern red cedar

QDM

I’m in the IA City area and trying to find some cedars to transplant by hand if anyone has any leads. Likely a couple hundred but doesn’t need to be that many. Looking to add cover to a south facing hillside late winter / early spring next year.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

U want to transplant?
I wouldn’t rule out buying em …. $.50 to $1.50 - worth considering.

The last couple years I’ve ordered from the ia dnr but it seems like they’re only able to supply 6-10” trees. Which were fine…just wish they were bigger. Maybe because they always sell out and can’t get another yr or two of growth before selling?? The first year I ordered they were really nice…25-30”!

I’ve also had better luck with survival on the transplants. The last two years alone I’ve planted well over 1k (pines, cedars, hardwoods and shrubs by transplants, bareroot planting and direct seeding acorns).

Last years need for watering took its toll on me haha…I’m thankful for the rains we’ve gotten this year as I’ve only watered a couple times. I’m a few years in and just trying to focus on what’s worked well to hopefully be more efficient going forward!

Thanks for checking in!

Drive around and find pastures. Most farmers be happy to have you dig them up.

I have near 100% survival on transplanting cedars. When I buy them that number goes down significantly.

Unfortunately I’ve worked through the few that I’ve located so far but will keep looking. Overgrown pasture is very limited here because clean corn/bean fields are king around here!

Last fall I even went as far as adding my name to the “contractor” list with the local nrcs office in case anyone needed some CRP cleaned up but never received any calls.

I will agree with your experience on survival rates being quite different IBH.

Any roadway ditch under utility lines will have them. Cedar waxing birds eat, transport, fertilize and plant the seeds.

Drive roads with poorly manicured ditches and you should have a pickup box full of dug up ERCs within a couple of hours.

I agree that transplants survival rate is higher than purchased saplings, but I've had good luck with them too.

Top Bottom