Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LOT tags

KnuckleDragr

Let's try this again

So I found myself in a discussion today about who can get these and why. I would like some of your opinions.

1. Why were these tags created? For farmers that SELL crops?

2. Tenants are allowed, but as long as they SELL crops?

3. How does one deem property "agricultural"? Do the crops HAVE to exist AND be sold?

4. If the land is zoned as agricultural, does it legally qualify?

I believe "farming" used as a verb is defined something like:
Act of growing crops or livestock

Doesn't necessarily say those crops must be sold. (According to the definition I looked up).

So all this leads us to a scenario:

Mr landowner owns 100 acres. 50 in timber, 50 in overgrown pasture. He plants several food plots totalling 20 acres. Food plots consist of several different species of plants. None of which are harvested for income. I know the regs aren't very clear on this, but does he qualify?

If you answered yes, let's pretend the same landowner leases the same land to a "tenant" who plants the exact same plots without selling his crops. Now does the tenant qualify?

The whole argument here is: what exactly does a landowner or tenant HAVE to do on their farm to be eligible for LOT tags?

One person in our discussion swears up and down that he could lease some ground, put in some food plots, and hunt his little heart out on a tenant tag. Now ethically speaking, he shouldn't be able to. But after really looking at the regs and looking at them from a literal point of view as they are written, and checking the dictionaries definition of farming, maybe he can. I know that most of us agree on how these tags SHOULD be used, but according to the wording of the regs, maybe he has a valid point. Legally. What do you all think?

LOT= landowner tag....

Even the name of it doesn't really make farming or producing a product a requirement.

This has been beat to death...if a guy wants one he should pony up some of his hard earned money and go get one. Landowners that are residents deserve more than people who don't own land. Landowners are helping to provide a place for deer to live.....thus, deserve it. The constant scrutinization of this is undoubtedly brought up by people that envy others that get it......I repeat, if you want one simply do what others are doing and sacrifice things in your life and buy some land!!! Sorry, but that's the reality.

If mister landowner is denied hunting privileges without having to purchase all licenses required of non landowners; why would he or she allow access to his land to other hunters? The last time I hunted public land it was too crowded!

Well I will admit, I get a LOT tag being a tenant... start hating on me now :) I get it because the land owner requested that I do to get him a deer, since he is really incapable of doing it himself. I do pay rent on the land, I put in crops, but I do not get to harvest them per the landowner. I went to the DNR office to apply, and they had no issue with me getting the tag on those grounds.

I know 2 different people that get lot tags and don't own or rent a single acre. Figure that one out.

I think a farm size is 10 acres no less according to the gov.

Regs say 2 contiguous acres to be used as agricultural.

What I'm getting at is if Mr Landowner don't hunt, but allows a hunter on his property with a friendly handshake, then no LOT tag for the hunter.

Now if the hunter paid $1 in a lease agreement to Mt Landowner, then can he get a LOT tag? Because now he would legally be considered a tenant. Correct or not? Assuming he grows "crops" ,AKA food plots.

The way I understood in while I was in the office, is even if you are NOT renting it but the landowner gives you the parcel number and information to get a LOT tag, you can get one with the stipulations of crops/farming (however a rental agreement would have to stand somehow)... however, that being said... You can only hunt THAT parcel. You cant hunt every single parcel like the landowner would have the rights to do. And you can only do this ONCE. You cant go to several landowners and do this... As the same, if you own ground, you cannot get a LOT for another persons property if you get your own LOT tags. The easiest thing to do is call your local DNR office or stop in. I stopped in at the one up here and thats how it was described to me, they helped me fill out my forms and submitted it for me so that day I could have bought tags if I wanted.. Way simpler than getting several different explanations on here..

Wouldn't even know about the Ag requirement if not for reading it. Most of the people I know that get them have no Ag in their vocabulary. What bothers me is the ones that dont use the tag on their own land. Thats what its meant for. I have witnessed this abuse firsthand from my stand unknown to the violator. Honestly I dont care about the Ag part. And I guess if the landowner gets one tag or even two I dont care if he uses it or someone else. Does it need to be a buck though? Just use it for the land its meant for.

Father in law used to own and live on 10 acres of ground, 8 acres or so of this was all timber. None of it was used for any ag purposes at all. He would buy land owner tag every year for that parcel. One year when I first started out hunting he even convinced me I could get a tenant tag for the same ground as he got one for another pc of ground he rented to hobby farm.
Then one year there was a change put in place that you had to register your ground which also involved submitting your tax I.D. number. (According to him) He was told at that time he did not qualify as he had no ag income from the ground and that is what the LOT is meant for. (Again this was according to him) He did not purchase a LOT for that parcel of ground again.

Last edited:
You can get both landowner tags AND tenant tags for the same property... tags include 1 anterless and 1 any sex deer... plus you can buy 2 more additional antlerless deer... So you could possibly have a total of 8 tags for one parcel... Again, if the landowner owns multiple pieces, he can hunt them all... a tenant is only allowed one that they register for...

flugge The easiest thing to do is call your local DNR office or stop in. No the easiest thing to do if you don't own the land is to use the two buck tags that you can buy as a res. and be glad you get to shoot two.

Like most (all) government run systems....there are flaws. What about the tv hosts who are on a brand new lease that never put plots in? What about the guy whose dad owns thousands of acres of tillable but uses one of the parcel #'s to obtain, or the people who simply get LOTS and fill elsewhere? There are tons of scenario's. My dad gets LOTS, I don't, I often thought, how easy would it be to rent/ or have deeded over 2,5,10 acres etc from him and get one? I don't just because I don't feel that is what it was meant for.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

You can get both landowner tags AND tenant tags for the same property... tags include 1 anterless and 1 any sex deer... plus you can buy 2 more additional antlerless deer... So you could possibly have a total of 8 tags for one parcel... Again, if the landowner owns multiple pieces, he can hunt them all... a tenant is only allowed one that they register for...

The tenant can hunt all of the land that they are qualified as a tenant and it doesn't matter how many parcels that might be. 1, 2, 20, 50, the tenant can hunt all of them. Tenants and landowners only need register as a landowner/tenant with one qualified parcel but can hunt all qualified parcels with their LOT.

The tenant can hunt all of the land that they are qualified as a tenant and it doesn't matter how many parcels that might be. 1, 2, 20, 50, the tenant can hunt all of them. Tenants and landowners only need register as a landowner/tenant with one qualified parcel but can hunt all qualified parcels with their LOT.

See, when I was in the office they said I could only hunt the one I would be renting.. I guess that could be plural as well, good point! But if you only rent one, you cannot hunt all as I was told...

And whoever wanted to say the easiest thing to do was just use the two buck tags, that does not help this conversation. Anyone that comes here for regulations, it is the simplest thing to do is to go to the DNR office or drop them a call... nothing wrong with finding out the ACTUAL regs that thinking...

I believe that if I had 2 or more continuous acres of pure timber, and I aplyed for a Landowner tag and was told no, I would call it tree farm. You don't need to get ag income off of it every year. Or I would plant some fruit trees and call it an orchard. Or plant some Christmas trees and call it a Christmas Tree Farm.

To the OP, under your scenario, I would say technally you aren't farming it, Turn a couple holstein calves out on that pasture and walla, now you are. Plant some Apple trees out there, bam orchard, bingo! But food plots for deer, IDK, you might still be able to get some LOT's but probably technally shouldn't.

I personally think it's rediculous when non land owners get landowner tags by manipulating the system, but to each their own I guess. Just not something that I would feel good about doing.

I personally think it's rediculous when non land owners get landowner tags by manipulating the system, but to each their own I guess. Just not something that I would feel good about doing.

I agree it's ridiculous what people get away with in this state.

I am not advocating manipulation of the rules per se, but while these tags are commonly referred to as "Landowner Tags", they are actually "Landowner/Tenant Tags".

Are you bothered that actual tenants can get them too, or that some people are bending the rules that are neither a landowner or a tenant?

Top Bottom