Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Makes no sense

And here I thought the DNR was worried about you slugging a deer and putting your archery tag on it....:D

Would the risk not be far greater for those on the ground? I cannot even imagine why a slug would be up in the trees.

I hunt in the hilly part of Iowa. In a tree or on the ground doesn't mean anything when it comes to slugs flying.

I don't go into the woods during shotgun season. It wouldn't matter if they allowed archery to remain open or not. To be honest, I don't even like driving by public ground during shotgun season.

In Pa you can hunt with a bow right through all the seasons, includes high powered rifle for deer, bear, elk as well as muzzleloader season and fall turkey where rifles can be used plus all the small game hunting (squirrel season is the most dangerous for an archer sitting in a tree as far as I'm concerned). No safety concerns I guess?

Because the Iowa regs say so...

Im with JNRBRONC...Im sure slug holes with a bow tag would be common...just to bag that trophy you weren't smart enough to out smart...just like Im sure happens during Late muzzy from time to time

I've lived and hunted in Iowa, Missouri and Illinois and I'm pretty sure in all three archery season closed during the gun season. In Missouri I know you could hunt with a bow using a firearms tag, but I can't remember for sure in Illinois. I don't have a problem with it, as far as I'm concerned bow hunters have plenty of time to try to fill their tags. I just always assumed it was to avoid issues with people shooting deer with a gun then trying to use an archery tag on it.

About 8 years ago I posed question to Steve Dermand (DNR Conservation Officers boss in Des Moines)...His answer was the gun hunters complain that the bow hunters have a long season that includes the rut......we want our season without them...he never mentioned ( as I recall) safety as being an issue. I said would be nice if you could at least be able to use a " lesser" weapon ON YOUR OWN LAND....his comment...gun hunters don't want you out there.......personally, I think it sucks that you have to sit out the SG seasons on property that you own. Using a bow on your own property wouldn't bother anyone.

So let me see, bow hunters get 86 days to bow hunt which also happens during the peak of the rut, and you're complaining that you have to give up 16 days to the shotgun hunters? Oh and just another thought as far as the safety goes and how the shotgun hunters are labeled to be dangerous, It seems to me we have more deaths and or injuries from people falling out of tree stands or ice fishing versus the dangerous shotgun hunters.

About 8 years ago I posed question to Steve Dermand (DNR Conservation Officers boss in Des Moines)...His answer was the gun hunters complain that the bow hunters have a long season that includes the rut......we want our season without them...he never mentioned ( as I recall) safety as being an issue. I said would be nice if you could at least be able to use a " lesser" weapon ON YOUR OWN LAND....his comment...gun hunters don't want you out there.......personally, I think it sucks that you have to sit out the SG seasons on property that you own. Using a bow on your own property wouldn't bother anyone.

Just like it sucks for shotgun hunters to sit out all of October and November bow season, late bow, early muzzy, and late muzzy season. They could make the exact same claim. "Using a shotgun on your own property wouldn't bother anyone."

I love bow hunting too but I will shoot a deer with whatever legal means the law allows. Pick up a shotgun for a week or sit on your couch and watch some tv.

Last edited:
So let me see, bow hunters get 86 days to bow hunt which also happens during the peak of the rut, and you're complaining that you have to give up 16 days to the shotgun hunters? Oh and just another thought as far as the safety goes and how the shotgun hunters are labeled to be dangerous, It seems to me we have more deaths and or injuries from people falling out of tree stands or ice fishing versus the dangerous shotgun hunters.
x2

1st shotgun season is only five days. For guys that don't have vacation time to use, the season is really only two days.

I do both, nothing wrong with giving the shotgun hunters the woods to themselves. Archery gets almost 3 months while SG gets 5 or 9 days. Archery also gets the peak of the rut. I'm bow first and I'll take how it is now any day of the year.

As bow hunters we are very lucky to have things the way they are. Really, everyone benefits from our current season structure. I had a great time hunting this past weekend with family and friends.

As bow hunters we are very lucky to have things the way they are. Really, everyone benefits from our current season structure. I had a great time hunting this past weekend with family and friends.

Agree. I believe our hunting quality is a direct result of our season structure. And this is why everyone wants to hunt here.

You can move to Minnesota and bow hunt during the gun seasons all you want. I would prefer a December shotgun season that was off limits to bow hunting.

season structure is horsecrap.

I am allowed 3 tags . Who the hell cares whether I shoot all 3 deer with a bow, or 2 with a bow and 1 with a gun or 3 with a gun They are my tags, they are 3 deer for gods sake what does it matter when or how i kill my 3 deer. This is nuts! You cant make this stuff up!. Safety, in mho, is a bunch of crap, my opinion!

Top Bottom