Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Miscanthus x Gianteus

• Deleted by benelli90
  • Reason: double post
Show…
Hmmmm. Well- if u guys want me to go in on any- I’m in!
Skip,
Do you have any of this planted now? Trying to decide whether I should plant some or just continue with the Eqyptian wheat. I like the idea of being done with the yearly plantings of the wheat.

I'm interested in trying these as well and can meet whoever wherever to pick them up- I'd be in for at least 500 rhizomes.

Some 3rd year stuff. It likes wet. So, in this case....higher ground and massive drought this didn't get that tall this year.
IMG_20171208_131703.jpg

Do strips.... I’d do some combo of ew til rest got established.... miscanthus, cedars, maybe some willow, whatever.

Do you do a single row for your screens or a double row? Where I am thinking I have over 700 feet I want to screen for privacy.

I single row but it depends on the use. If just for a screening to make the deer feel secure then one row would work fine. If using it to hide your movements to a stand and back maybe go to two rows. Two rows would probably screen quicker if staggered. My one rows at 4 ft. spacing per root take about 3 to 4 years to close in solid.

I single row but it depends on the use. If just for a screening to make the deer feel secure then one row would work fine. If using it to hide your movements to a stand and back maybe go to two rows. Two rows would probably screen quicker if staggered. My one rows at 4 ft. spacing per root take about 3 to 4 years to close in solid.
So they spread about 6-8" a year then? Not bad

I planted a two row 24" apart by 24" for a screen for hunter movement and to make deer more comfortable in a plot this past spring. It exceeded my expectations. I have heavy clay soil and get a little over 30" of precip a year in normal years and this year was in the normal range.

I had planted a 12' wide screen of sun hemp and forage sorghum that gets 10' plus tall the previous year in the same locale for the same screening purpose. It made a great screen but I didn't want to have to keep planting that screen so I decided after researching and recommendations to go both feet in with the miscanthus. I planted the same mixture this past spring just to the east of where I planted the miscanthus knowing it will take 2 to 3 years to get the miscanthus screen where I want it. The hemp and sorghum made a great screen again and the miscanthus planted 4' from it grew great. It basically is between 7-8' tall, can't wait to see what it looks like in two more growing seasons.

There will be a another screen of hemp and sorghum planted this spring but I am betting it won't be needed the following season. The screen hides a 1 1/4 plot that is roughly 60 yards wide by 250 yards long. This past fall had the most visits by bucks since we started the plot in 2008.

All of my miscanthus was bought from Maple River farms. Don the owner is great to work with.

How are you guys doing large plantings of miscanthus? I did around 500 last year with a shovel. This year I think I ordered 2500 and i didn't like the idea of digging 2500 holes with a shovel.

I made this today after getting the idea from another forum. The plan is to make a trench and than walk and drop the rhizomes in the trench, cover back up with a rake and then use the tractor tire to pack the ground again.

143bc137f827496f4d396d5aabc97c1c.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
To answer above, I did not put a mass order in this year. Sorry, I suck. Got consumed with too many other things. We can do it next year for sure.... someone remind me.

As far as planting, yeah I've done over 3,000 by hand at once. I think your method above should work. Another one I used was rototilling the entire strip and then planting them into the loose dirt.... way easier than just a shovel.

If you have wet, soggy ground (which MG LOVES), I rototilled, placed all the rizomes out at 18" spacing and then went back and just drove over them to push them down. Sounds funny, by was FAST and worked PHENOMINAL. That stand had 100% survival.

Lessons learned on this stuff, avoid high ground, target high moisture areas, Control weeds (2,4d, atrazine, etc) and you'll be happy.

Gentlemen,
For those of you with established plants already, I plan on planting a screen this weekend. Going to do two rows 24" away from each other and then do a 24" spacing between the plants offsetting that dimension between the rows continuous? Question I have is how far off the neighbors property should I be so it don't go onto his property during its lifetime? Thank you.

24" between rows ain't going to be much of a advantage except early on. I'd say depends if you yearly burn it off. Mine hasn't had to much of a hollow middle and I think it was because of burning. Didn't get it done this year and have a good size hollow area in the middle where dead leaves pile up. Thinking two rows would just do the same and just grow on the outsides of both rows without wider spacing. Think mine is around 10 years old and is 6' wide now.

it will spread indefinitely unless you cultivate a line which wouldn't be hard to do. Mine seems to go about 6" in every direction, every year.

it will spread indefinitely unless you cultivate a line which wouldn't be hard to do. Mine seems to go about 6" in every direction, every year.

Have you cut in a line? Just trying to think the easiest way. One side is pretty tight and trying to think how far to leave it off the neighbors line.

Top Bottom