Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Miscanthus x Gianteus

Fortunately I can’t blame it on a lack of moisture. It grew well last year during its first season. I have no clue but I’m guessing winter kill? About half of the plants that were alive last fall, are growing this spring. A real bummer.

We had no drought here last year either, I'm assuming winter kill as well. We had some really cold temps with little snow to insulate the ground at times last winter.

IMG_20180611_120539.jpg

Miscanthus roadside screen.

Never. Going on 5yrs old just hoping the spray truck respects the screen and prevents as much spray drift as possible.

Here is some 4th year stuff. Already taller than last year due to severe drought in 2017... And this stuff has a long ways to go. MG LOVES water. Probably 10'+ this year by time done. I hit it with gly and atrazine before it was sprouted. Pretty much weed free around it which probably helped also.

ca3446c887696a79039f75b09afddbb2.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I checked some 2nd year miscanthus today. It stands somewhere between 7 or 8 foot. There is a lot of volunteer grass mixed in, but the miscanthus didn't seem too effected by it.
d9cf59e8ce2e8df4df7b139e9d0e4548.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

A long shot, but checking to see if there might be a bulk order of MG in the near future that needs participants?

I’m interested in planting a substantial amount for screening.

A long shot, but checking to see if there might be a bulk order of MG in the near future that needs participants?

I’m interested in planting a substantial amount for screening.
I orchestrated it in the past. I just don't have time to deal with it this year. If someone else wants to organize it, go for it!

I have 300 rhizomes showing up today or tomorrow from maple river and plan to plant this weekend. I sprayed the intended planting areas with gly, prowl and simazine a couple days ago. These plantings will be for screening. I was going to do 2 rows and alternate planting 18" apart in each row. Do any of you with past experience with miscanthus giganteus have any recommendations? Do's or donts? Thanks

I have 300 rhizomes showing up today or tomorrow from maple river and plan to plant this weekend. I sprayed the intended planting areas with gly, prowl and simazine a couple days ago. These plantings will be for screening. I was going to do 2 rows and alternate planting 18" apart in each row. Do any of you with past experience with miscanthus giganteus have any recommendations? Do's or donts? Thanks
Likes wet. Loves nitrogen. Atrazine a good idea.

Thinking about buying a heavier duty walk behind tiller for the wife (tilling garden next spring). Im thinking this would be good for miscanthus screening strips also.
Do anybofbyou have any experience with what make/model tiller I should be considering and/or avoiding?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inherited an older Troybilt workhorse and even with it, tilling sod is a challenge. Multiple passes to get things worked up.

Inherited an older Troybilt workhorse and even with it, tilling sod is a challenge. Multiple passes to get things worked up.

With the exception of areas in tight to blind sites, I will be spraying and discing prior to putting the final pass with the tiller.

b35e27b4ad39d37ce0d9221492ccf6eb.jpg

Lots of foxtail , but this years Planting for sure took . Planted 1500 rhizomes . Did a small area I tilled scattered and tilled again . Came in as good as the other 1200 holes I dug . Put down atrazine . Lots rain ..

Last edited:
If we stay in the drought what's the chances of the rhizomes living? Want to plant some as well but scared with the weather we have been in the past yrs?

Top Bottom