Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mock rub/scrape trees

6x6

PMA Member
I put some willows in the ground yesterday in three places and watered them in good. Its a little earlier than when I usually put them in, but I was wondering if I left plenty of smaller branches they might use them while stripping velvet.The first spot is a clover field with corn and brassicas/radishes in the background. I put a forked tree and a smaller bushy one in and had some average bucks check it out right away. Some stripped, some not.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The next one is a grassy cedar valley they pass thu going to a soybean field.Right now they are just sniffing it and lightly working the branches. Again a few more average bucks some stripped some not.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The last one is a weedy cornfield with clover and brassica/radish mix around it.I put in a bigger tree and a bushy one. This old buck checked it this morning but it was so foggy the pictures sucked from the fogged up lens.

picture.php

All in all not bad for less than 24 hours of putting them in, especially considering how much sweat and scent I left on everything. I will keep updating this thread as they really start hitting them.

That is crazy that they get right on them so fast, thanks for posting this. I know what I am doing this weekend! :D

This is just awesome. Did you strip some of the bark or is it from them rubbing already. I will definitely be trying this. I can bet I don't have this good of luck though. We'll see.

I take the shovel or clipper blade and scuff up some bark to give them a visual, and that seems to be right were they go to. I put them 2 1/2 to 3 feet in the ground and pour water in the hole before the tree is put in, to keep them green.

Cool stuff.

Have you done any tailcam video on those? That would be awesome stuff :way:

In your second set, why do you think they hit your new tree instead of the tree growing in the background? This is one of the coolist things I have seen on here, Thanks so much for posting this.

Jeremy

The one in the background is a honey locust that will probably get rubbed later on. The one I put in is the only willow around and by scratching some bark gives them the visual to zero in on.Once deer start leaving scent on it every other buck passing thru will do the same. Plus, especially in a food plot, I think it really gets their attention when it just pops up overnight.

No I dont put any scent on it. After scrapeing off some bark the willows have a pretty strong smell that also gets their attention.

6x6 - after putting mine in, I was a little concerned about checking the cams too fast, but you don't seem to be and it doesn't seem to bother the deer at all....any thoughts on this??? It's been a week and I can't wait to check my cams!

Awesome Joe, my mock rubs are going in Monday maby Splitter will tear into one!!
Can't wait to see more pictures, which buck is the boys going after?

I get a little impatient when I first put the trees in and want to see the initial reaction and make sure the camara is pointed right. Most of my camera setups are in, or close to feeding areas, so as long as I check them mid-day it does not matter how often I do it.Now I will probably check them every 5-7 days. I just put this tree in thursday. Its a 50 foot fire break of clover around a 10 acre crp field that I mowed the clover to the ground and overseeded brassicas and forage radishes on thursday also. At least half the bucks are still in velvet today, but are working the branches and checking it out the first night. Over the next few weeks they will really start hitting them.Some of my best pictures have been in october the first night I put a tree in a feeding area.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Bill, for the youth season my 9 year old is determined to hunt the old one eyed buck. Its gonna be tough, he is shy and has a huge home range. We only get pictures of him every 2 weeks or so. We always mount his bucks every year, but this one if he gets real lucky, he wants us to boil and european mount him, to show the healed up damage from his head on with a vehicle in 08, and his massive bases growing down to his eyesockets.

picture.php

Colton, my 16 year old, even though he will have almost no time untill football is over, is going to try his luck at the old Hook buck, during bowseason, that is at least 7 years old. He missed him 3 times in 2008 with his bow. Every time he worked past our blind between 18 - 28 yards, and either shot over or under him, without the buck having a clue about what happenen. Two arrows are still in trees up there. He was a mature 160 class in 2008, lost trailcam pics when my last computer died. 2009 and 2010 his rack kept going way downhill and we gave him a pass, but now this year he blew back up. Never seen one on the way down, jump back up like that at his age.With the football schedule and the fact that he is sure Hook is unkillable, he is not too confident untill late season when the 2 biggest bucks we got sheds off last spring move in for the winter.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Sorry for the double pics, still figuring this out, I am not even gonna try to edit.

Joe my Dad thinks I'm crazy with the mock rubs! I told him you watch and see. I am going to put them in my clover patches and none in his plots for the time being.
He also said not to use my plastic decoy!! He changed his mind about Bucky after I killed 2 of my biggest bucks over the 'plastic decoy'.
My wife and I are going to put 3 in today can't wait!

My wife thought I was nuts but helped me anyway!! LOL
She seen your pictures and told my Dad and brothers about the trees.
There is bucks coming to this clover patch in the timber on a regular basis day and night so we'll see what happens.
It was late when we put it in so next Saturday we'll see.

PICT0168.jpg

Top Bottom