Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

More on CWD...

Here in Virginia, we have not heard much about CWD.As much as I hate to say it, it looks like the future will bring much more info, whether we like it or not. Interesting article anyway.

Check out the Wisconsin DNR web site.

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/whealth/issues/CWD/index.htm

4 more cases of CWD turned up (now at 18). These deer were confirmed by a lymph node test on 4 of the original 516 deer. These deer origial didn't test positive by the brain stem method, but now have witht the Lymph nodes. It seems that they think the lymph node may be an early indicator to the fatal disease. More on this at the web site.

Just wondering if these lymph node tests can be done with the animal sedated? I would think they would need an outdoor lab test for this, so they can get a test result on site with the animal sedated. Then if tested positive they can destroy the animal. If not positive maybe tag it and test again at later date to see if it contracted the desease.

Oletom, Can you tell me if the number of cwd infected deer in Wisconson are all wild or are some from high fence operations? I just checked Nebraska's info and see that we now have 15 infected from the wild. Can't find how many were positive on the Edwards ranch where alot of our's has been linked to. I wish our state would take the agressive steps like you guys are. Our G and P thinks they are going to sell extra permits this fall to help the problem! what a joke. Would you buy a permit to hunt in an infected area? I won't! Hope you guys in Iowa or anywhere else don't get this. Jay

From what the DNR has said they are all free roaming animals that have tested positive for CWD. I actually would help harvest these animals to help control the CWD. I believe everyone has to do their part to help curb this enviromental threat otherwise, in WI where there is 1.3 million deer it will soon be everyway, if not already, than just in the south central part of the state.

Don't get me wrong, I'd gladly volunteer to go help cul the herd. Even pay extra for tags to have it done if that was what the plan was here. The plan here seems to be "we will monitor the situation" I don't know of anyone here that wouldn't help out if they would let us. We need more agressive action here. Our GandP also keeps saying..."Remember there is no current information that would suggest CWD can spread to humans." I read that as, there's no information saying it can't be spread to humans. To all states with it, I sincerely hope your plans to control it work.

That article is dead on. My brother lives and works near the CWD zone and he's been offering his services to help cull deer from private land. He can't even get anyone to lift an eyelash.

The lack of urgency and inaction on this only adds more anecdotal evidence to that and unfortunately, scares the hell out of those of us that live outside the CWD zone and realize that the bone-heads that are not prioritizing this are jeapardizing our future deer herds by their selfishness.

Top Bottom