Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Native Wildflowers and Plants

Are there other native grasses? Clearly clethodim & crop oil will zap any grass like foxtail but not viable when natives are in there.
best way in most settings.. high mowing & down the road fire. Foxtail is an annual & after a year or 2 of solid established plants- your foxtail should Peter-out quite a bit.

another option is to plant plateau/imazapic tolerant plants so you can control things like foxtail with imazapic/plateau.
What pollinators do you have planted?

if plants are germinated & get established extremely well year 1 - canopy allowed to stay open- even with foxtail…. Year 2 & so on will be easy or nothing needed for weed control. Or minimal.
Here is the mix.
93c49c9f0c2b2ccce9b012e50501d8f6.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

“5 bags per acre” with no grasses. If no grasses- manage with clethodim & crop oil & down road maybe a bit of fire. Looks like a great list!
Yep no grasses. I have another acre that I am killing off with Roundup and am going to till and frost seed in October after the first frost. So we will see. Thanks for the information.

Pictured is a bottomland area that at one point was cultivated. Neighbors have told me this area has been a monoculture of Reed Canary Grass for quite some time. I sprayed gly in early May and planted an annual clover mix. The area I sprayed is in the foreground, in the background you can see the Canary grass. The spraying allowed for many types of natives to flourish, some ironweed and multiple varieties of swamp milkweed. The clover mix (balansa/berseem) has done quite will without much care or "weed control." I intend to make this 1 acre area a food plot and convert the remaining 10 acres of the opening into wetland forbs and shrubs. I also intended to mow this area off and plant this year, but I couldn't bring myself to eliminate all the pollinators as they were covered in monarchs and other butterflies/bees. I will seed some cereal rye into this area over the next couple of weeks. I hope to be able to spray this entire bottom next year.

Attachments

• Swamp Bottom.jpg
    Swamp Bottom.jpg
    792.6 KB · Views: 226
  • Clover.jpg
    Clover.jpg
    984.4 KB · Views: 231
Need an ID for this pink flower? Phlox was the closest thing I could think of..

View attachment 124037

This is a hard one!!!! I honestly give up. Is this a native plant & which region is this?
Phlox have a pointed leaf & some of those look pointed maybe but many look rounded. U got a brain stumper from my perspective!!! Virginia meadow beauty is the closest I can come up with and I’m 90% sure that’s not right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Living in Southern Michigan I wonder is mowing late winter early spring a good way to keep foxtail out of the wildflowers? I have a acre that I planted around my house.

What is your AMS product & mix rate and is it to compensate for hard water so Gly is more effective? Just curious…

Top Bottom