Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

need a few pointers...

Benelliblaster

Got permission to hunt a little piece of ground that Ive been seein a good buck on from the road. Heres the problem. No trees I can hang a stand in. Theres and overgrown weedy cornfield with a few patches of scraggly crap trees. Dunno what they are so ill call them that. No way your puttin a stand in em. I did find a brushpile that might hide me... has anyone ever put together like a makeshift natural blind? Thanks in advance...

I have a property pretty similar. However I did find a thorny locus tree that would hold my stand so I trimmed all the thorns off the one side.. Also I have hunted by just sitting next to a brush pile in the camp chairs and have had deer pass like nothing was there. You just need to control when you move.

Make sure you know how to get in there without being seen. I've stood behind a 3" diameter tree with my camo on and had a deer walk up to 6' from me and never knew I was there. Staying still while hunting from the ground is the biggest key.

Ya I shot my first bow buck from the ground but I think that was a fluke. Walking to my stand he stood up in some thick stuff just staring at me, his vitals were wide open at about 20 yds and I smoked him. But I think ill just play the wind and hide the best that I can. Ive seen the buck out there almost everytime I went and looked. If I can pull it off im sure he'll be my best to date.

One of my most enjoyable hunts ever was in a situation just like you describe. I got up next to the largest trunked tree I could and made a little bit of a blind out of some grass and held still.

I had the buck I wanted come to about 12 yards and he never knew I was there.

I've used a brush/cedar blind most years. Got two deer last year from the same brush/cedar blind. It was next to an old fence row, there was a cluster of scraggly crap trees (unsure what these are as well, but only about 2-3" diameter and about 8-10' tall). I just cut some cedars and put them around them, and sat on my tripod stool. Both deer were at 15 yds going thru an opening in the fence to the side of the blind. I even go by this once in a while, and don't even notice it because I'm focused on going thru the opening. One year I had a pop-up blind (pyramid shaped) in the same spot, and my dad drove thru and was right next to it before he even saw it! I have another cedar blind set up this year that I'm hoping will work. I just cut 4 cedars and put them at the base of another standing cedar. Depending on where the deer come from, I think if you can get into the brush pile or pull some brush up to the side, it could be a killer spot! Just make sure you have the brush high enough to cover you and I think it works best if they will be walking to the side of the blind, instead of straight at you.

Don't over analyze it... If you know where the deer is traveling, set up with the wind in your favor and stay still. you can make a blind out of anything, just try to keep it natural and sit tight. A buddy and his son killed a 185" deer last year sitting on a 5 gallon bucked next to a hedge tree... Smoked the buck at 12 yards. I honestly think you are better off with a natural blind vs. a pop up blind for deer.

I shot my archery buck at about 15 yards last year just sitting behind a fallen tree on the ground. Find some brush or a fallen tree and have a seat! Just make sure that you are incredibly still.

All are correct , I'm in same situation now. I took some camo netting in some weeds to black out my silhouette and brushed it in really good. I have had numerous deer well within bow range, just not the big buck. Stay still and only hunt with the right wind. Anything can work, but the better you are hidden the better your chances of success.

I put some camo burlap I got from theisens in front of me last year and worked great. I just hung some up on branches enough to cover me chest high while sitting. I found a little pocket in a hedge row and burrowed it. Deer were walking right by.

Don't over analyze it... If you know where the deer is traveling, set up with the wind in your favor and stay still. you can make a blind out of anything, just try to keep it natural and sit tight. A buddy and his son killed a 185" deer last year sitting on a 5 gallon bucked next to a hedge tree... Smoked the buck at 12 yards. I honestly think you are better off with a natural blind vs. a pop up blind for deer.

Forgot to mention that my grandpa did something similar. Not with a 185" deer, but a nice one anyway. Parked the ATV, walked about 80 yds with a bucket to an empty livestock tank with a tree branch hanging to the ground next to it, sat on the bucket with his green raincoat (wasn't raining, just to blend in better than brown carhartts), and had the buck walk straight to him from at least 100 yds away to within 25-30. I think curiosity got the better of that buck. I swear my grandpa is the luckiest one out there!

I would wait for a breezy day, enough to rustle the corn leaves, and get 3 or 4 rows in, or as deep as you can and still be able to see him coming and shoot.. the good wind and corn leaves will mask your scent, movement, and noise. You can also use those corn rows to sneak right up on him.

I would wait for a breezy day, enough to rustle the corn leaves, and get 3 or 4 rows in, or as deep as you can and still be able to see him coming and shoot.. the good wind and corn leaves will mask your scent, movement, and noise. You can also use those corn rows to sneak right up on him.

I have also tried this. Corn apparently wasn't thick enough or tall enough though, and deer came from the wrong direction, so I got busted. But, I'm sure it has worked for many others before. You could make a blind or pop up a blind in the corn too, if the farmer doesn't mind.

I hunt a public patch where every stand that goes in gets stolen so i wont even bother , ive shot 2 bucks and 3 does in 3 years all on the ground in a chair hiding in the brush all from 7-30 yards. just watch wind and be still. and be prepared , you WILL get busted occasionally , especially from behind. just stay as still as you can and let em stomp and wheez all they want.

Thanks for the help guys. Souns like it CAN be done. All the "experts" at work had me brainwashed that ya. Gotta be up a tree with a bow. I thought I knew better ;) thanks again ill let ya know how it goes!

Put a ground blind out snd brush it in or if you have a tripod stand you could put it in there. But ive killed several deer from a blind and ground blind ive built out of brush. Good luck buddy hope ya shank him!

Put a ground blind out snd brush it in or if you have a tripod stand you could put it in there. But ive killed several deer from a blind and ground blind ive built out of brush. Good luck buddy hope ya shank him!

I used to have a tripod, but with the cover or top on it I couldnt draw my bow in it and without that i got busted everytime in it no matter where I put it. Then the river came up and took it downstream somewhere never to be seen again! Its probably in a hole somewhere collecting crankbaits.

I have also tried this. Corn apparently wasn't thick enough or tall enough though, and deer came from the wrong direction, so I got busted. But, I'm sure it has worked for many others before. You could make a blind or pop up a blind in the corn too, if the farmer doesn't mind.

This farmer doesnt mind what I do as long as im killin deer. Never been a fan of pop ups though. Mine usually get nabbed.

This farmer doesnt mind what I do as long as im killin deer. Never been a fan of pop ups though. Mine usually get nabbed.

I know what you mean. Mine is sitting at the house cuz every time I put it out it gets damaged, either by 4 legged critters or 2, not sure which sometimes. But at least it's still there when I go back. The thing I like most about it is it's dry inside when it's raining.

If the corn is overgrown with weeds, it would make just sitting in one of the rows as mentioned above easier. Guess all you have to lose is that big buck...so who cares, right! :D

I know what you mean. Mine is sitting at the house cuz every time I put it out it gets damaged, either by 4 legged critters or 2, not sure which sometimes. But at least it's still there when I go back. The thing I like most about it is it's dry inside when it's raining.

If the corn is overgrown with weeds, it would make just sitting in one of the rows as mentioned above easier. Guess all you have to lose is that big buck...so who cares, right! :D

Now your makin me nervous again! My plan was to maybe wait to go in there till late october early november when he might have somethin else on his mind. But what worries me there is he might take off across the country side lookin for does too? I dunno.

Top Bottom