Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need help finding deer

FormulaLT1Power

Last night around 5pm we shot a buck at 40 yards. Buck was standing mostly broadside, maybe quartering away a bit. Using Grim Reaper mechanical broadheads. Dad shot this deer, and said he could see the arrow sticking into the deer. Said it was a little back, and a little high, but he for sure hit it. We let things settle down for about 30 minutes before climbing down to check out the scene. Dad said he seen him jump the fence twice, run through a CRP field, and enter the woods...after that he was out of sight.

So we got down...absolutely no blood at impact, and nothing around his 1st fence jump. We walk up hill to where the 2nd fence jump occurred and still no blood. I found the arrow about 20 yards from the fence jump. The arrow was only half way covered in blood (did not get a complete pass through). The blood was thick dark red blood. Very little was on the ground, except for 2-3 splatters of blood. We decided to back out due to caution (we jumped a deer 2 years ago tracking too early).

We got there this morning, and there is absolutely no blood anywhere other than where the arrow came out of the deer. We've searched everywhere...CRP fields, pine trees, creek bottoms, around a pond, etc. We tracked for hours...and absolutely no sign of this deer. We looked at the last sight of the deer (where we thought he entered the woods, again he would of had to jump a fence).

Initially I was thinking a liver shot, but everything I'm reading seems to say this deer would die pretty quickly and not run more than a few hundred yards.

Thoughts/help??

Sucks man. Maybe hit further back that you thought? Maybe muscle blood from the hind quarter? Just a thought. He coulda went a long ways without hitting an artery back there and with your lack of blood, maybe this is the case? GL though.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Deer can live a long while with a liver hit and the way you described the shot and color of the blood I would say theres a good chance that's what he hit. I would check the closest water sources that's where he headed.

I would agree liver hit or maybe unfortunately could be simply a muscle hit. I sure hope it's a liver hit and you can recover your deer, good luck!

Also if its a high hit and no pass through, there wont be much for blood. Make sure you look high up on the crp grass. Like others said, look near water.

Doesn't sound like a good deal, but on the bright side he had the arrow in him while he was running, so it's possible it was doing some more damage while it was getting bumped around in there. Follow your nose and go for the thickest stuff around or water. Everybody has been in your shoes man, I feel for ya!

IDK. My experience with muscle hits is that they bleed pretty consistent brighter red blood. But not a lot in quantity, unless they stop and stand for a moment. What you describe sounds to me like liver. If so, he should be down and probably close to water as mentioned. Just hope he didn't travel so far that you cant find him. Best of luck and hope to see some harvest pics.

Top Bottom