Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New clover plot in heavy weeded area

jkratz5

Question for the folks that do this best. I want to put in a new kill plot 2/3 acre or so. The area is open so no problem in terms of growth. However it is historically weedy and grassy. What is the best route for a new plot? Frost seed it now or wait and plant it traditional in a couple months?

Any tips on this are greatly appreciated!

Kratz

What’s there now for plants- grasses or broadleaves? How weedy and matted down is it and is it alive or dead?

Many ways to skin the cat here..

Could be a frost seed opportunity to have a good stand by fall. If not a lot of soil present, not worth frost seeding though IMO.

Always a good option to til or spray in late summer and establish the clover with cereal rye last week of august.

Fall Plantings with RYE / Cereal MIX , It's automatic ... Great fall plot and next spring great stand of clover of your choice ..

My preferred spring method is to light it on fire(if possible) to remove duff, then till very shallow, I usually set my tiller to its highest setting, then seed and pack. The spray a couple weeks after first green up with cleth and 24db, then just mow from there. This will give you your "best" stand of clover in the fall. But its also a bit more work because you will definitely get some weed pressure.
Fall planting with cereal grains is the easiest most fool proof method of all without a doubt

Thanks fellas. I was questioning the frost seed as there is a lot of grass/weeds still matted down. Sounds like the fall plot might be the best route although I do like the thought of getting things rolling in April/may

Next spring / summer after the fall rye planting = clean clover plot!

Not a single spraying done.

C7B0893D-5E5C-4020-87B8-2A99CF445D4B.jpeg

I’m in the Deep South so my strategies are a little different but they will work up there.
Get your ph corrected.
Spray and burn.
Plant in the fall with a nurse crop.
Can mix some annual clovers ( Frosty Berseem) with the perennial of your choice.

For us down here, imo, frost seeding should only be used to help thicken up a clover plot. Our growing season makes weed competition too difficult.

Our grass is starting to green up and there are buds on the trees. Dandelions are going like wildfire along with purple hen bit.

I’m in the Deep South so my strategies are a little different but they will work up there.

Our grass is starting to green up and there are buds on the trees. Dandelions are going like wildfire along with purple hen bit.
....we are in the middle of a snow storm in Iowa. o_O

Spring planted clover for me has worked best to use oats as a cover crop, then mow the oats right after they form a seed head.

Method I've used is to till the ground to break up sod layer, broadcast oats, cultipack oats into the soil, then broadcast clover. Works every time with spring rains. Oats provide shade for young clover and keep the deer focused on oats instead of the young clover.

My preferred spring method is to light it on fire(if possible) to remove duff, then till very shallow, I usually set my tiller to its highest setting, then seed and pack. The spray a couple weeks after first green up with cleth and 24db, then just mow from there. This will give you your "best" stand of clover in the fall. But its also a bit more work because you will definitely get some weed pressure.
Fall planting with cereal grains is the easiest most fool proof method of all without a doubt
Just tried 24DB for the second time. My experience is that 1 quart/acre had no effect but 3 quarts/acre definitely did. I did same thing, Clethodim + 24DB. Just need some rain.

Burn it, lime it this summer, and then plant this fall with a cover crop. Fertilize, disc (or till), then broadcast cover crop at half rate. Drag it, cultipack, and spread clover seed. Last step is cultipack one more time. All assuming you do not have a no till drill.

Just tried 24DB for the second time. My experience is that 1 quart/acre had no effect but 3 quarts/acre definitely did. I did same thing, Clethodim + 24DB. Just need some rain.
Yes, you definitely need to go heavy on the Cleth and 24D-B when spraying June/July.

Top Bottom