Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New guy from Sask

Love getting that Northern perspective!!! Welcome & please share some stories of the great north! How’s hunting up there the last few years? U in farm country or big timber?

Thanks for the welcome fellas. I'll try my best to find the appropriate sections of the site to post some stories of my whitetail adventures as well as just how different things can be up here. I'm pretty fortunate in the fact that I have access to a very large area where only my son and I (we own most of it) and a couple other hunters are allowed to hunt. We're located in what's called the "forest fringe" so our land is a combination of large tracts of poplar with grain and hay fields mixed throughout. Our closest town has grain elevators and a huge lumber mill.
This Google earth pic shows where I'm located. Keep in mind Saskatchewan is 750 miles x 350 miles.

20211227_065448.jpg

Thanks for the welcome fellas. I'll try my best to find the appropriate sections of the site to post some stories of my whitetail adventures as well as just how different things can be up here. I'm pretty fortunate in the fact that I have access to a very large area where only my son and I (we own most of it) and a couple other hunters are allowed to hunt. We're located in what's called the "forest fringe" so our land is a combination of large tracts of poplar with grain and hay fields mixed throughout. Our closest town has grain elevators and a huge lumber mill.
This Google earth pic shows where I'm located. Keep in mind Saskatchewan is 750 miles x 350 miles.

View attachment 121827
Post it here or anywhere you like …. Folks from iowa who love hunting usually fantasize about the big north country. That location is incredible!!!! The “fringe” seems about ideal with the mix of timber & ag.
So a “big farm” here is maybe anything over 300 acres. Have a few mature bucks on average if I were to guess. “Big” Places up there far bigger I imagine? Deer population doing ok with last few winters? I love hearing about what the hunting is like in these dream locations. I love it in iowa but sure love to hear any details of what it’s like to hunt up there for hard core whitetail folks.

I never quite understood this…. My buddies in northern MN & WI have almost “no deer”….. like “very few” - wolves, hard winters, not much food, etc. Then I see folks get far further N & the hunting improves drastically …. Perplexing to me!!!

Welcome to the site! There used to be a guy on here from there that would post a bunch. Always enjoyed reading his posts and seeing his pictures!

Welcome.looks like you could be in the Glaslyn area. I have hunted around Meadow Lake . Beautiful area lots of big bush, big fields, wetlands, etc!

Welcome to the site! There used to be a guy on here from there that would post a bunch. Always enjoyed reading his posts and seeing his pictures!
Screenshot_20211227-174229_Chrome.jpg

If this is the guy you might be referring to, I'm pretty sure I know who he is. He lives about an hour's drive further North than me. He's pretty much just an Instagram guy now.

Yup Kaare used to be a big contributor here. I now follow him on IG. Welcome aboard. Are you strictly whitetails or is there mule deer and bears around for ya to chase? Or moose or elk

Welcome.looks like you could be in the Glaslyn area. I have hunted around Meadow Lake . Beautiful area lots of big bush, big fields, wetlands, etc!
Hit the nail on the head. My mom's family is from Meadow. Love heading up there.

Edit: Added;
Non resident hunting areas start just a few miles North of our land. The covid "break" has given the deer a chance to get another year older so the next few years should be pretty good for a chance at a real cranker. Those dark horned forest bucks are hard to beat!

Last edited:

View attachment 121827
Welcome, I visit annually to hunt ducks not too far from you and absolutely love it up there!:)

Well as much as I love living up here and really have no desire to live anywhere else, I too am very interested in the stories and experiences from what is fast becoming the capital of the whitetail world, Iowa. I'm intrigued with your hunting laws and management techniques and hope to learn and maybe apply some of those ideas up here.

Our challenge is the vastness of our wildlife habitat which in turn expands our individual bucks' core areas making movement somewhat unpredictable. Our current laws limit whitetail harvest to one deer per year/hunter which can be a buck, doe or fawn. This puts population management pretty much in mother nature's hands. At the moment our population is what I would call very good but it's been 30 below for over a week now and we've got a foot and a half of snow so it'll be the survival of the fittest if this keeps up for another couple months.
Anyway enough of me rambling on, ha. I'm going to share a few stories that I think some of you might find interesting and hopefully through some of those they'll give you a picture of what the outdoors is like where I call home.

Top Bottom