Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New use for an old product

Fishbonker

Life Member
Hothands-2.jpgTurkey sam-2.jpg

It was cold enough Saturday that I needed hand warmers. Sunday looked to be the same so I opened the handwarmer pack before I went out. What a difference a little sunshine makes in a blind. I just couldn't waste the $0.99 so I put them to good use. MMmmmmm, warm turkey sammich.

A turkey was hunting turkey while eating turkey. There is a a certain symmetry to that.

If you are ever really in a pinch with no warmers...the armpit or between the cheeks method also works well.

Reactions: arm
The older I get the more creature comforts I like. Those little tables are great for those 8-10 hour mind numbing sits in a blind. I have two in the blind. The one on my right holds strikers in the drink holder, the slate call, phone and ear buds (for listening to the Cubs) go on the flat. The table on my left side holds a bottle of water in the drink holder and my monocular on the flat until it's time to heat up lunch.

My personal guide and Sherpa, Bwana Tenring Kokolamma Sherpa, is getting a bit long in the tooth as well. He used to just throw all 300 pounds of my very necessary gear on his back, then pick me up and carry me up the Iowa Himalayas. I told him a year or two ago that I wasn't going to get any lighter nor was I going to pack less gear, but I did know CPR. I guess the thought of me doing mouth to mouth on him convinced Bwana Tenring Kokolamma Sherpa to purchase a side by side to better and more efficiently drag me and my gear up the Everest-like mountains in Clayton County. I sure hope he doesn't find out that mouth to mouth has been dropped from CPR.

Way back in the day I had a young fire breathing Sherpa named Jefe Bourbongulper Jakelamma Sherpa. For a Sherpa of his age he sure knew the longest way to get anywhere. He carried my gear but he drew the line at physically carrying me, but he indeed "carried" me. I used him on at least two expeditions into the wilds of Iowa and both times I swear he had us lost. I started breaking bits of thread off my clothing and dropping them so I could find my way back from where ever he was taking me.

The first expedition we were unsuccessful in reaching our goal of a dead turkey. I guess you could say we failed to summit. The second expedition wasn't as long a journey as the first but I swear we hiked past the same tree three times. The second expedition was also much more successful than the first. Jefe Bourbongulper Jakelamma Sherpa guided me to the summit. I shot my biggest turkey so far on that second expedition. The slow thief of time is quickly robbing me of details but I think that gobbler weighed 27ish pounds, had three beards (for sure) and hooks I think were just over an inch.

Pic of those tables:

Tray-3.jpg

As a warning about them, they grow ants. I used to put my blinds out a day or two prior to first season and leave them in the same spot until the close of the 4th season. I had one table in each blind and they both attracted ants that built nests in them. This year I only went with one blind. I had one up for second season and no ants. I put it up last weekend for 2 days and it grew ants again. This weekend I'm actually going to try to run and gun which in Bonker's world is sit in a fence line all day and hope they don't see me.

There is only one kind of hair I like and it ain't armpit hair.

I took that morning off so Bwana Tenring Kokolamma Sherpa could hunt instead of carry my stuff. He did carry me up the hill so I could take the picture though. Since it was down hill I just rolled my way down. It wasn't the rolling that hurt, it was the big tree that stopped me.

You didn't do anything different than any other morning. It was too cold for you to get up. Admit it. I was impressed that you heard my shot and hoofed it up the hill in your jammies to take a pic.

Top Bottom