Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Newby headed to Davis County

Nightowl

Louisiana Sportsman
Guys, Got drawn and plan on a bow hunt for the first time in Iowa. I'm headed to a friends farm in south Davis County near Pulalski. I have read where EHD has done a number on the Iowa deer and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this area and if it was affected? Any info and outlook would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Yes.. I hear there is great hunting in that area. I'm from North Louisiana and never been past Springfield, Mo. so this will be new territory for me. We plan on staying a week or so just hoping we see some deer.

I own property 20min from there area was hit hard by ehd. don't let that get u discouraged trail cams still picking up some really nice 4+ year olds maybe not as many as years past but the Deer iowa are known for are still here too be had. hunt hard hunt smart good luck and enjoy the iowa hardwoods.

I've leased a farm in the northwestern part of Davis County from a buddy since 2002. Davis County has been very good to me during the years I've drawn a tag. I only bowhunt so last time I hunted there was 2012 during the bad EHD year. I still saw plenty of bucks and a few 150" plus deer. Killed a 4.5 year old 148" 9 the last evening. If you go at the right time and the weather cooperates, you should enjoy yourself. Good luck!!

These post make me feel much better. I have been waiting three years to get drawn and was devastated after I learned of the ehd issue. I will be bow hunting and plan to leave Louisiana Nov 7th for the 13 hr drive up and hunt a week or so. Just hope this southern boy doesn't freeze to death up there lol. We hunt with temps mostly In the 40-60* range with occasional 30* mornings. Our big deer down here are mainly nocturnal due to heavy pressure.

Everyone blames EHD, there are good bucks out there, there are also excuses for the people that do not want to work at it. Good luck enjoy your hunt, you still need to be in the right place at the right time and be accurate on your shot.

Haha, blaming ehd for nothing other than killing off a large number of mature deer.
View it however you want but if 20% of the mature bucks were killed by aliens or ehd that's still 20% of mature bucks.
Im not sure what you were getting at by people using it as an excuse... less is less. Yes it will be harder to kill a "shooter" type buck if there are less of them

People blame EHD because that is a huge factor in the Midwest for low numbers- it's a fact. Yes- still plenty of shooters around- just not the numbers in some areas as in years past. As far as Davis county- you will be just fine- coming from northern Louisiana - first time in iowa - put in the time and you will be in for a great trip! Good luck!

I hunt in that area EHD did kill a lot of deer over last two years. I am seeing a good amount of deer I have seen better though the sign is really great no excuses here just facts. Hunt hard have fun obey the laws and you will have a great hunt

People blame EHD because that is a huge factor in the Midwest for low numbers- it's a fact. Yes- still plenty of shooters around- just not the numbers in some areas as in years past. As far as Davis county- you will be just fine- coming from northern Louisiana - first time in iowa - put in the time and you will be in for a great trip! Good luck!
Thanks we will already have a few stands placed by the land owner as well as a few we will bring. It will be nice just to see some deer with horns as down here you may not see a good buck all year unless its on the camera at night. Don't get me wrong we have some good 140-180 bucks they just move at night from the heavy pressure and high powered rifles firing off all day. I have had two friends go up to Iowa the past couple years and both killed the first morning of the hunt and one deer scored 165. They both said there is no place like it. Cant wait.......

I hunt in that area EHD did kill a lot of deer over last two years. I am seeing a good amount of deer I have seen better though the sign is really great no excuses here just facts. Hunt hard have fun obey the laws and you will have a great hunt

Thank you Sir that really builds up some confidence

I have a farm in Davis County, although not terribly close to the Pulaski area. It is true that deer numbers are down across this area of the state compared to what we had, BUT...there is still good hunting and in southern Iowa in November...anything can happen.

From what I can tell, the deer population is very situational depending upon neighborhood. Not all areas are down, but some certainly are. I drive through some areas now where we don't see very many and other areas are like they used to be and you have to really keep your eyes peeled while driving.

The EHD impact was spotty...we never found a deer on our place that we think died from EHD, but I know others only a mile or two away that found many casualties, particularly in 2012.

Also, the other main factor that has reduced the population is the aggressive antlerless harvest over the past 5-8 years. But again, this is spotty, because some areas were essentially over-harvested and others weren't. My guess is that you will have a pretty good chance at a nice buck, but maybe not as good as it was 4 or 5 years ago and back.

I have a farm in Davis County, although not terribly close to the Pulaski area. It is true that deer numbers are down across this area of the state compared to what we had, BUT...there is still good hunting and in southern Iowa in November...anything can happen.

From what I can tell, the deer population is very situational depending upon neighborhood. Not all areas are down, but some certainly are. I drive through some areas now where we don't see very many and other areas are like they used to be and you have to really keep your eyes peeled while driving.

The EHD impact was spotty...we never found a deer on our place that we think died from EHD, but I know others only a mile or two away that found many casualties, particularly in 2012.

Also, the other main factor that has reduced the population is the aggressive antlerless harvest over the past 5-8 years. But again, this is spotty, because some areas were essentially over-harvested and others weren't. My guess is that you will have a pretty good chance at a nice buck, but maybe not as good as it was 4 or 5 years ago and back.

Thanks for the report. The land owner basically stated the same as you. From what I understand the farm is just south east of Pulalski and I know there have been a couple 180 inch deer killed off of the property. I would be tickled to death with a 135+ as that would be a personal best for me. lol

Thanks for the report. The land owner basically stated the same as you. From what I understand the farm is just south east of Pulalski and I know there have been a couple 180 inch deer killed off of the property. I would be tickled to death with a 135+ as that would be a personal best for me. lol

It sure sounds as though the area you are headed has a history of having nice bucks around...that is meaningful to me. If you hunt the wind right, understand the lay of the land well and put in some quality time...I would be quite surprised if you didn't have multiple sightings and/or reasonably good chances of taking a 135" class buck...maybe better!

I hunt down around that area and the numbers are still about the same as they have been. I've actually seen more mature bucks this year than I have in the last 5. Believe it or not we have had more trouble down around this area with over population and inbred, unhealthy deer than we ever have had with some type of disease. Seems like Mother Nature is taking her course and they're starting to be healthier and more mature deer all over. I can tell you one thing, if you're coming the 7th of November and pack your breakfast lunch and supper because you won't want to miss a second of being in the tree. Shoot me a message when you get up here if you need any help or anything like that, I'm always willing to shoot the breeze with hunters from a different area. Good luck!

It sure sounds as though the area you are headed has a history of having nice bucks around...that is meaningful to me. If you hunt the wind right, understand the lay of the land well and put in some quality time...I would be quite surprised if you didn't have multiple sightings and/or reasonably good chances of taking a 135" class buck...maybe better!

Daver hit on a key point and something that you said earlier made me think you to mention this. Start looking at Google Earth and topo maps of the farm. Find pinch points and areas of interest in the property before you set foot on it in case the stands the landowner has set aren't on the X or the wind and weather throws you a curveball. It sounds like a 135 is a good possibility. I don't know your situation but if you don't manage to connect during your first trip keep options open for a return trip in late November around Thanksgiving if it's feasible.

I hunt down around that area and the numbers are still about the same as they have been. I've actually seen more mature bucks this year than I have in the last 5. Believe it or not we have had more trouble down around this area with over population and inbred, unhealthy deer than we ever have had with some type of disease. Seems like Mother Nature is taking her course and they're starting to be healthier and more mature deer all over. I can tell you one thing, if you're coming the 7th of November and pack your breakfast lunch and supper because you won't want to miss a second of being in the tree. Shoot me a message when you get up here if you need any help or anything like that, I'm always willing to shoot the breeze with hunters from a different area. Good luck!
That is nice to hear! I am loosing sleep at night and so ready to get up there. What is the normal lows and daytime high temps for early to mid November?

Top Bottom