Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No longer seeing mature deer on farm, only 1-2 year olds

njwan

We got 180 acres about 5 years ago, historically this has been great hunting land. We purchased about 5 years ago, when we first purchased the property we had many mature deer as well as many shooter bucks. Over the last 5 years that has been changing, we're seeing slightly more deer but they're getting younger every year. We typically only take 1-3 deer off the property every year (1 nice buck hopefully and a couple does). We haven't changed anything about the land since taking it over (food plots, trail cams, hunting pressure). The property has a lot of deer and it's nearly impossible to go for a hunt and not see anything. However, every deer we're seeing is between 1-2. The territorial bucks that dominate our land are all small 2 year old 6 or 8 pointers chasing off 1 year old forks, no does or bucks older than 2.

Previously the land was owned by a farmer who would let anyone shoot as many deer off it as they could find, we hunted it while this was going on and we saw less total deer but more mature deer. Then a hunter bought it and resold to us after only two years of ownership (sold because he couldn't get nonresident tags). The first couple years, we had mature deer and monster bucks roaming freely, the deer population is more today than when we bought it, but as I said everything is 1-2 years old. Thinking during gun season we need to thin out the young does and get the population to a point where the mature bucks will be interested in returning. Looking for feedback from someone who has had a similar experience and how to navigate this. Thank you!

I was just kidding.. sounds like a couple of my farms in Minnesota.

Boy, I don’t know.. EHD ? Neighbors getting a bunch ?

Another thing when a mature buck is with a doe there can be one to several dink hanging out with them….. waiting….. watching and learning from a seasoned veteran at work

You 1000% need to shoot more does. 2 does is nothing on 180 acres.
Listen to this video:

Everything you're saying seems to support what Bill is saying in this video. The farmer letting everyone shoot anything they see kept the does in check. I curse the orange army when they kill young bucks I want to go another year or two but I'll give them credit, they sure help keep the does thinned.

Def need location. You have the EHD disaster in 2019? That could be a huge factor. Some areas lost 90% of the deer.
We're about an hour NW of DSM so central western IA, EHD hit really hard in NE Iowa, we didn't find any dead deer on our land because of it and Guthrie county had a low count.

You 1000% need to shoot more does. 2 does is nothing on 180 acres.
Listen to this video:

Everything you're saying seems to support what Bill is saying in this video. The farmer letting everyone shoot anything they see kept the does in check. I curse the orange army when they kill young bucks I want to go another year or two but I'll give them credit, they sure help keep the does thinned.
That's what I'm thinking. When we purchased the land it sat untouched for two years while the 20 years previously anything that was on the property was shot so the bucks had land to themselves with no little deer and on pressure and that's when the hunting was the best there. We've left the herd relatively untouched and now we have all these little 1-2 year old deer.

I was just kidding.. sounds like a couple of my farms in Minnesota.

Boy, I don’t know.. EHD ? Neighbors getting a bunch ?
Neighbors are mostly trophy hunters as well that don't take many deer off. One neighbor is a farmer who lets anyone shoot anything off his field. Across the street about half a mile away our neighbor passed and now his grandkids and their friends shoot anything in sight, that's been the only change to the management of the land in the last 10-15 years as far as I know other than us buying the farm.

Shoot more does, preferably the older ones. Mature does will drive fawns away come spring, the buck fawns tend to relocate while doe fawns not as far.

I'm an hour further NW than you and we got trucked by EHD in 2020. Just now building back nice horns.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom