Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nonresident land owners of Iowa

• Deleted by 8bitnes
  • Reason: Error
Show…
My house only sits on a few thousand sq. ft. of my property. The rest I have to walk to or fire up the side x side, but I'm guessing that's not what you meant by your question. ;)

Your title and question are different. Are you asking about nonresident landowners or residents who own land but don't necessarily live on it? Both?

I just found it an odd question without more context. My first thought was, why do you want to know?

It's that kind of world we (I) live in...... Always be aware of your surroundings.....

Maybe just me...

I just found it an odd question without more context. My first thought was, why do you want to know?

It's that kind of world we (I) live in...... Always be aware of your surroundings.....

Maybe just me...

Not just you at all.

It reminds me of the Friends of Iowa debacle from 2008-2010ish.

For those of you who don't remember the Friends group there were some non-resident landowners that formed an association of sorts to try and get the non-resident tag laws passed for both an increase in number and landowner yearly tags. To my knowledge they faded away. I'm sure there are groups of non-residents out there with loose associations but don't have anything "front facing" other than a lobbyist, as is their right. So when I saw this thread my "And so it begins....again" alarms went off.

“FRIENDS OF IOWA”. Ha!!! That is a classic!!!!!! Hired lobbyist, website & a lot of noise. The last thing they were was “friends of iowa”. Great name- same crappy goals. Funny how history repeats itself. friends of iowa just gets repackaged every 5 years.

Iowa is a special place that everyone envies. What makes it special are the rules in place like limiting NR tags(the big one) and making NR landowners draw a tag every few years. Being a NR, I wish I could buy land there and hunt it yearly, but I understand their reasoning on the rules in place. Maybe one day in retirement I will move there. Until then, I'll just dream about all those mature bucks running around, and I'll keep complaining about Illinois.:rolleyes:

I'm new here so bear with me, but has anyone ever brought up a NRLO draw? For example, in Nebraska the elk tags are split into a general draw and a landowner draw. The general draw is residents only, the landowner draw is open to any landowner owning X amount of land regardless of residency. Could Iowa institute a buck tag draw with X amount of tags to NRLO owning X amount of acres? Maybe instead of drawing every 4-6 years, drawing every 2-3 years would quiet the squeaky NRLO wheel without upsetting the balance of deer management and land prices?

I see both sides of the coin in this argument. I strongly believe in landowners rights and think if you own it, you should be able to hunt it. On the flip, Iowa is special for a reason and I get that. Just a thought I had while perusing these threads.

Carry on!

I would argue the drawing every 2 to 3 years is already an option yet here we are with the squeaky wheel. Instead of a nonresident being picky they could opt to hunt a lesser desired region in iowa where the draw rate is higher and instead of waiting to draw a bow tag could opt for a gun tag. Of course you would probably have to hunt public land as well, my point is if someone wants to hunt Iowa so bad and are not a resident the cons come with the pros.

I'm new here so bear with me, but has anyone ever brought up a NRLO draw? For example, in Nebraska the elk tags are split into a general draw and a landowner draw. The general draw is residents only, the landowner draw is open to any landowner owning X amount of land regardless of residency. Could Iowa institute a buck tag draw with X amount of tags to NRLO owning X amount of acres? Maybe instead of drawing every 4-6 years, drawing every 2-3 years would quiet the squeaky NRLO wheel without upsetting the balance of deer management and land prices?

I see both sides of the coin in this argument. I strongly believe in landowners rights and think if you own it, you should be able to hunt it. On the flip, Iowa is special for a reason and I get that. Just a thought I had while perusing these threads.

Carry on!
I appreciate your interest in finding some sort of common ground, but...IMO the "wheel" is never going to quit "squeaking" until the big money NRLO's have EXACTLY what they want. And if it ever comes to be that they are guaranteed a buck tag every year...I doubt it stops there. "We own the land...we should be able to sell tags to hunt on our farm(s), etc, etc, etc.".

I have a hard time sympathizing with the NR tag issue on any level, landowner or not. I didn't like the draw situation myself... so I moved here. I realize many are unable or unwilling to do that. Well guess what.. life isn't fair. Critters in this state are resources of the STATE, not private land owners. I'd like to go hunt some premium mule deer and elk spots.... guess what... 20+ year wait. It's just the way it has to be.

premium mule deer and elk spots.... guess what... 20+ year wait.
And, with those states making it even harder on non residents all the time. I would not live long enough for my 13 points in Colorado to turn into a tag where I wanted, so I spent them as it was costing more and more every year to even get a point. I didn't like it, but adjusted my expectations and moved on.

Top Bottom