Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Not a good start to the new year!

OneSlugDoug

Well I hate to say it but one of the things I've always thought would never happen to me actually happened to on New Year’s Eve and it just so happen to be on the worst things that could happen!

The hunt started as I parked my truck on the side of the road and headed out to a grass field I hunt and seeing 10 deer already in the field; which winded me and took off. So I proceeded to find a good spot for my lone wolf. I find not the best looking tree but I thought it would do and precede setting up. As I put the Lone Wolf on the hook strap then strap the bottom strap to the stand I step onto the stand and go to check out the shooting lanes and a I hear pop and I’m instantly launched off the stand and fall 20 feet to the ground. Luckily I landed on my feet and rolled but I knew something was wrong right away as a sharp pain went up my back and down my left leg. I laid there for a while screaming in pain, then finally I calm myself down and tried convincing myself it wasn’t that bad (dumb idea!). After a few deep breathes I stand up on my right leg and thought that it wasn’t too bad I go to put weight on my left foot and instantly fell a very sharp and very painful sting and fall back to the ground. As I am no doctor I tried a couple more times and knew it wasn’t going to happen. First I called my older brother and say “don’t freak out but I fell out of my stand” lucky he was very calm and actually calmed me down in the process. I then call 911 and they did a very good job at finding my hunting location, luckily I wasn’t too far from a road and they were able locate my truck and drive right to my field, after laying for 45 mins in a very painful state they located me and I was rushed to the emergency room. After hours of x-rays and pain medication my family and I learned that I broke my lower back (compression break) and two places on my pelvis (on the left leg side). After spending New Year’s Eve, yesterday, and today in the hospital I was able to be sent home at 4:30pm today. I still have a lot of recovery to do and a painful road ahead!

Though it is definitely not the way I wanted to celebrate the New Year I am very thankful and lucky it wasn’t worse; usually when I hear of someone falling from their stand they are very screwed up, paralyzed, or even killed.

I am a college student at Iowa State University and I go back to school the 13th but the way it is looking I will have to play it by how my healing goes to see if I make it this semester.

To those who are still hunting good luck and be safe! Like I said this was one of the things I thought would never happen to me and in a blink of an eye everything changes! And BE SAFE!!!

I have to wear a back brace to hold my back in place and use a walker or wheelchair to get around, I don't know how long I will be using them for but I'm guessing it's gonna be awhile!

Here is a pic of me in the hospital bed where I laid for the three days, I would also like to thank my older brother and his wife and my mom and dad for staying with me the whole way through this…I love my family very much!

6538-imag0136.jpg

I'm very sorry to hear about your accident. There is hope though ... I fell 25 feet from my stand back on November 11, 2000, & suffered a compression fracture to my T9 vertebrae. I was forced to wear a brace for a while also. Today I lead a fairly normal life but often experience pain and weakness in my back. I know that's probably not what you want to hear, but over time you will heal. There isn't a day that goes by when I don't thank God that things weren't worse. Hang in there!

-Longspurs-

Wow! Really glad you are doing as well as you are. We'llbe praying for a quick and full recovery.

That's a tough deal Doug. I was texting Scott about it that night. My wife and I said a prayer for your quick recovery. You are right, it could have been so much worse but that doesn't take away the fact that you have a long road ahead. Thank God for a supportive family network. Take care!

Scary scary stuff....I'm glad your able to talk about it and will make a full recovery. It just goes to show even the best equipment can fail. Human error or manufacturer error doesn't matter when your laying on the ground. Good luck in a speedy recovery!

Doug is my cousin. I believe the hook was not on completely right. The newer LWs have a black cap on the end of the tube that cover the peg so that you cannot visually see it connected. I believe it was not completely set on the peg right. I have done it before where the hook is on but not around the peg. The hook slipped off, the stand shifted and down he went.

I took the black caps off my stands so that every time I put the hook on I always look at it from the top and make sure that the hook is on right. Without visually seeing it, I never really knew.

Maybe that did not happen but I have had it many times where the hook was on but not 100% to where it weight was put on it the hook would pop off. That is what I suspect happened anyways.

I am glad to read that you are on the recovery road already, scary stuff for sure. Thanks for posting, hopefully your account can help someone else avoid a similar fall.

Thankfully your are recovering from this accident. Accidents can happen in a blink of an eye and fortunately you didn't get hurt worse or killed.

Terrible news. I wish you a full, speedy recovery.
It can happen to any one of us. I am much safer than I used to be but there are still times when hanging a stand, safety line,etc. disaster could strike.

Dang Doug! You were very lucky, a fall that far could have been way worse! You are young, you should heal quickly. It is a wake up call to all of us hunters when something like this happens. Prayers for fast healing bud.

Doug, So glad to hear you have the opportunity to recover from this scary accident. Hopefully your body continues to recover from the injuries.

Liv - I assume you are talking about the J-hook on the top strap. Are you saying that you remove the cap from the top of the upright tube where the seat swivels - that way you can confirm that the J-hook is fully inserted into the back of the tube?? Please confirm (That is a great idea - thanks for sharing that tip).

Top Bottom