Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Not a good start to the new year!

Brent,

You are correct. The J-hook on the top strap. I removed that black plastic cap on the end tube so that after I set my bottom strap I can look down from the top and visually see it is set up correct.

I have had the hook slide up before when you angle the platform up a bit to pull the bottom strap tight. Gives me a piece of mind. You cannot see it otherwise. I know it has saved me before.

Thanks everyone for the support and prayers!

I didn't really get to climb back up the stand and check it out :D

but I think Liv is right I didn't have the J-Hook completey in the stand so when I tightened the bottom strap and put weight on it I'm guessing it just puched the stand up and right off the J-Hook.

I did have the black cap on my stand and I think that taking it off is a good idea so you can actually see the J-Hook in the stand.

Whoa! Sorry to hear about ur accident, but glad it wasn't worse and you are still here to remind us all to be careful! All these stories has me really thinking about investing in lifelines or similar.

Doug - Liv,

Yes, makes 100% sense. Whenever I lift up the platform slightly to tighten the bottom strap the J-hook almost always loosens up some. Removing my top tube cap is something I will do this weekend while the idea is fresh in my mind.

Again, best wishes Doug for as complete a recovery as is possible for you.

Whoa! Sorry to hear about ur accident, but glad it wasn't worse and you are still here to remind us all to be careful! All these stories has me really thinking about investing in lifelines or similar.

I highly recommend that everyone adds life lines to their stands. I bit the bullet and added them to all of our stands this year. Well technically, all of our stands that are not ladder stands. So any stand accessed with climbing sticks and/or steps now has a life line there to use.

I know I felt a lot better about friends and family that hunted with us, and I hope my wife felt better about me using them too. :D

I also forgot to add all the hunting clothes I lost due to the nurses cutting all of it off me!

I'd say about $350 woth of hunting clothes done the drain :(

Doug is my cousin. I believe the hook was not on completely right. The newer LWs have a black cap on the end of the tube that cover the peg so that you cannot visually see it connected. I believe it was not completely set on the peg right. I have done it before where the hook is on but not around the peg. The hook slipped off, the stand shifted and down he went.

I took the black caps off my stands so that every time I put the hook on I always look at it from the top and make sure that the hook is on right. Without visually seeing it, I never really knew.

Maybe that did not happen but I have had it many times where the hook was on but not 100% to where it weight was put on it the hook would pop off. That is what I suspect happened anyways.

First off, glad you weren't hurt worse Doug. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

The loss of clothes seems expensive, but you could have lost it all.

I had what Liv mentions happen to me with my LW once, the top hook slipped off. I did not go out of the tree but the pucker factor was off the charts. If there was a cap on the top, I lost it somewhere as I didn't take it off. Anyhow, now I always look in the top like Liv mentions to make sure the hooks are "set".

First off, glad you weren't hurt worse Doug. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

The loss of clothes seems expensive, but you could have lost it all.

I had what Liv mentions happen to me with my LW once, the top hook slipped off. I did not go out of the tree but the pucker factor was off the charts. If there was a cap on the top, I lost it somewhere as I didn't take it off. Anyhow, now I always look in the top like Liv mentions to make sure the hooks are "set".

The older LW stands did not have the cap. Dont recall the year but somewhere in there they added it for some reason. I think from now I am just going to add the 3rd strap for good measure. It only takes 30 seconds and probably wouldnt hurt.

Best wishes for you in your re-hab and school young man. That is awful scary stuff. Hell, I tripped coming out of my groundblind door and did a near face-plant in the snow! Banged up my pride and had cockleburs all over me! There is no way I'm in a tree this time of year.

Glad to hear it wasn't worse, scarey stuff though! I fell a couple years back from about 15' and luckily the ground was soft enough that I wasn't hurt at all.

Are you guys talking about the EZ hang hook system?

Thanks and for everyone who was wondering the nurses weren't cute most were older :(

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you have a good full recovery.

I must have gotten lucky when I was in the hospital for my kidney stones because 3 of my nurses were very cute..

Glad to hear it wasn't worse, scarey stuff though! I fell a couple years back from about 15' and luckily the ground was soft enough that I wasn't hurt at all.

Are you guys talking about the EZ hang hook system?

I think they are yes.

Scary stuff Doug, glad you're going to be ok.

Guys, just remember, anything can happen at any time, just make sure you're always attached to the tree. Lineman's belt when you're putting on the sticks and stand, then flip up your harness strap to your tree belt, then detach lineman's belt and step up onto the stand. Easy as pie.

I've only been using the EZ hang hook and the bottom strap but I think I'll start using that 3rd strap for a little extra insurance.

Glad to hear u r home, wish u a speedy recovery.
I have slipped more than once, heart jumped, but thank God I have never fell.

Top Bottom