Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Not a good start to the new year!

The older LW stands did not have the cap. Dont recall the year but somewhere in there they added it for some reason. I think from now I am just going to add the 3rd strap for good measure. It only takes 30 seconds and probably wouldnt hurt.

I add ratchet straps to every single stand I put up. Situations like this worry me all the time and I am just glad it was not worse.

Thank God you will be ok But please respond to this

I am sorry but I need to clarify something I read in your story. Not trying to be a wet blanket but this could be a learning moment to help/save others or perhaps I am completely mistaken. So please respond. You say you put the stand on the hanging hook and then attached the lower strap. Here is my question...when you say you attached lower strap, do you mean the bottom versabutton or the one at top of stand. It reads as if you attached it to lower button then climbed onto the stand. This stand requires 2 straps to secure to tree, the hanging hook is used only to hold stand in place, it isn't meant to be used as the means to hold stand while hunting. I truly mean this question as a lerning tool, it is in no way meant in any other fashion. Glad you are going to be ok.

Last edited:
Lone wold stands

Have heard of this thing happening before. I believe that some folks think you use the hook as one of the straps to hunt out of stand with. Never ever do this, it can kill you in a flash. Always attach the the 2 loop straps to the verabuttons.

Also, concerning ratchet straps. The manufactures actually recommend against using them. It gives you a completely false sense of security while actually making the stand more dangerous. Here is how. When you tighten the ratchet you are actually taking the tightness out ot the strand straps holding you onto the tree. The ratchet strap then becomes the primary stand holder, most times you will get away with it, but it is still a bad idea.

Top Bottom