Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NRC Approves New Deer Regulations

G

The Natural Resource Commission of the DNR approved changes to the 2002 - 2003 deer hunting season Thursday, May 9th. The changes include extending the special late season for antlerless deer to cover two weekends, add several counties to the list of counties open during the late season and changes the quota for antlerless deer in several counties.

Other changes to the special late season for antlerless deer includes extending the time period for hunters to purchase a license through the end of the season, includes a more precise definition of what constitutes a legal bow and arrow and adds muzzleloading pistol to the list of legal weapons for the early muzzleloading season.

Counties added to the special late antlerless deer season include Appanoose, Clarke, Des Moines, Henry, Jefferson, Lee, Lucas, Mills, Monroe, Wapello, Wayne. Adair, Davis, Decatur, Van Buren, Ringgold, Taylor, Adams, Union, Fremont, Page and Montgomery counties will again have a special late antlerless deer season.

The following is a list of counties that have a new quota of antlerless only licenses for 2002-2003 and the and quota for 2001-2002. Adair - 400 licenses, up from 300; Boone - 100 licenses, down from 200; Bremer - 50 licenses, down from 100; Butler - 200 licenses, down from 250; Cerro Gordo - 50 licenses, down from 100; Crawford - 100 licenses, down from 150; Dallas - 200 licenses, up from 150, Davis - 1,000 licenses, up from 800; Des Moines - 450 licenses, up from 250; Dickinson - 50 licenses, down from 100; Emmet - 50 licenses, down from 100; Floyd - 150 licenses, down from 200; Franklin - 50 licenses, down from 150; Guthrie - 350 licenses, up from 300; Hancock - 50 licenses, down from 100; Hardin - 100 licenses, down from 150; Henry - 400 licenses, up from 300; Keokuk - 300 licenses, up from 250; Lee - 500 licenses, up from 400; Louisa - 350 licenses, up from 200; Lyon - 50 licenses, down from 100; Mahaska - 200 licenses, up from 150; Marion - 250 licenses, up from 200; Muscatine - 350 licenses, up from 250; Plymouth - 50 licenses, down from 100; Polk - 200 licenses, up from 100; Pottawattamie - 250 licenses, up from 200; Sioux - 50 licenses, down from 100; Van Buren - 1,000 licenses, up from 800; Wapello - 500 licenses, up from 400; Washington - 500 licenses, up from 400; Webster - 100 licenses, down from 200; Winnebago - 50 licenses, down from 100; Woodbury - 150 licenses, down from 200; Worth - 100 licenses, down from 150; Wright - 50 licenses, down from 150.

Commissioners also approved rules covering wildlife importation and transportation. The new rules regulate the movement of live deer or deer carcasses, prohibit the importation of deer for four months unless the deer originate from a herd certified to be Chronic Wasting Disease free or fawns born during 2002 if they meet other health certifications, and purchase of deer for newly established breeding facilities or shooting preserves. The changes were necessary to provide for the safety and welfare of the public and the safety, health and welfare of animal populations, either captive or wild, found in Iowa.

I was just wondering a couple things.First I heard they were planning to put in check stations for deer where hunters on a volunteer basis could bring their deer to be checked for CWD.I was just wondering if anyone knew how the plans for this were coming and if they planned to have them up and running by this fall.

Secondly I see where they have changed some of the rules on captive deer in the state.I was just wondering if anyone knew the laws on transporting captive elk into the state, if it was still being allowed, if it was legal to buy elk that are already in the state etc...Just wondering cause I was talking to a guy earlier who was getting his license to have such animals and he was intersted in getting some elk.Thanks .........Horst

The DNR, along with the DOT have already started testing road-killed deer this spring. Rk'd does are being checked for fetuses which will also be checked for CWD since Nebraska apparently had the first case of horizontal transmission (doe to fawn). Before that case it was thought that CWD could only be transmitted vertically (from deer to deer by contact).

There will be a voluntary check station setup this fall but how widespread in the state is not known at this time.

The state has imposed a ban on importing any cervids (deer, elk) unless they have been disease free for the past five years.

The best place to call for further information on the ban would be to the DNR: (515) 281-7127.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Top Bottom