Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

October cold front is upon us

Was able to be out all weekend- saw a ton of deer and most of the time it was in the clover fields. Acorns are still the hot spot at our place but the frosty morning made for good eating in the clover. Saw one shooter buck come busting into the field with his head straight on a mission checking scrapes. The young bucks are following the does at a fair distance.

Saw more turkey (young ones included) than I recall in the past 10 years or so, which made me very happy.

Can't wait until after this warm up- things will be happening fast. Hope everyone had a good weekend.

I can't remember where I read this, but I definitely subscribe to it..."Get on "greens" on an October cold front". We haven't been getting much for pics lately, but I am pretty certain that is because the deer are on acorns predominantly and we just don't have many cams where we would pick that activity up. (We do have a couple of cams in "acorn zones", but we haven't checked them recently.)

But last night...it was a buck parade at dusk...and they were on "greens". In particular, they were in a small area that I mowed my failed corn down in Aug and made a point of getting something planted there in its' place. Ha, the plan worked, that is right where the whole bachelor group was chowing down. I had a feeling that the bucks were there, even though we weren't getting them on cam much.

At least 4 of those bucks worked over scrapes/licking branches right on the edge of the field. At one point there were several trees getting thrashed at the same time, all right in a row. It was pretty comical to watch...lots of branches bobbing. :)

This has been the best October hunting I have ever seen. The cold weather has made for some great hunts. I haven't touched the release off yet but should have on a couple of old culls. The older I get, the easier it is to talk myself out of shooting a buck. I just hope we don't pay for all this cold October weather with a warm November. Good luck to everyone as we get into the prime hunting dates.

Top Bottom