Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

On the Board

SEIowaDeerslayer

I had an exciting hunt this morning, first turkey hunt of the year. I had about an hour drive and a long walk so it was an early morning for me. I got the blind set up on "gobbler ridge" as I now call it about a hour before sunrise. Nothing much to the hunt, daybreak came and a bird that was roosted about 100 yards from my set dropped down and came in perfectly. I made a good shot and the bird expired shortly after. He's definitely a 2 year old bird and he was gobbling his head off as he came in like the younger ones usually do. I thought I'd have a chance at a second one but they were all big, mature birds who were with hens and didn't want anything to do with my spread.

I've shot 4 out of my last 5 gobblers on this ridge so its been a consistent producer, hence the name I gave it.

20 lbs 2 oz
8.5" beard
1" spurs

4ee625037489400f90ab0234cc4ad356.jpg

I have never hunted in the timber for turkeys, always set up in open fields/areas just off from the timber/roosting trees. Always wondered what if though.

I have never hunted in the timber for turkeys, always set up in open fields/areas just off from the timber/roosting trees. Always wondered what if though.

This particular area I hunt is all river bottom big woods and very little crop fields. The birds like to stick to the open mature hardwood ridge tops in this area and just go ridge top to ridge top all day. I think the biggest field in the area might be 10 acres big and I rarely see a bird in that field. When I hunt my spots in the southern Iowa I'm always camped out in the middle of fields.

Just to give you an idea of how open these ridge tops are, last year after an unsuccessful hunt I walked probably 150 yards down this ridge to see what my setup looked like from a long ways away, and I could clearly pick out my jake and hen, so with the eyesight that a turkey has, they would be easily able to see my spread.

Top Bottom