Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

One thing to take to next year that is different from last year-

BDAHMS

Be here Now
I thought I would start a thread for everyone to put their 2 cents worth-

Last season was my first season ever bow hunting and man did I learn a TON about deer and hunting in general compared to my years of shotgun hunting. What are some things you are excited for doing differently for next season-

Mine is getting food out asap and cameras on them come July-august and following all the deer on the multiple properties and truly coming up with my first "hit list" Last year I sat and waited for deer to come, not truly knowing what was there- this next season I want to have a list of deer and know it ahead of time what is out there-

Also- want to try that mock rub where you put a branch in an open area (plant it like a new tree) to get bucks to check it out- great idea!

- I'm looking forward to hunting a good up and coming buck next year. (If he survived) I had two or three really exciting encounters with him last year. The different thing about this year is.... 'I'll be ready incase he shows up again'.

- I'm excited about possibly using a buck decoy this year (late october '13 to late November '13). Hopefully, it will be the real deal.

- Excited to possibly be using a new grunting sequence.. I still have to work on it, but It looks really promising.

Hoping to come up with a way to get in the trees I need to be in, instead of the trees I've been in because they are straight! Also, start earlier if possible getting stands out so I can get all my shooting lanes cut. Maybe scout more during season (bow in hand of course!) to see current patterns. Maybe get a couple new blinds built and deployed. Practice longer shots more and from elevated position. Had a lot of "if only"'s this year!

I agree on shooting lanes! I had so many bucks stop right in front of areas that "I should have" cut away but I wasn't prepared.

Finish putting stands with in the next month and trim shooting lanes now less work in the heat of the summer.

I learned to take a deer you'd shoot on the last day if you have an opportunity. Passed on a 120 class whitetail. Never shot a buck before but I wanted to respect all the other hunters management from the surrounding properties. I also want to try different stand instead of focusing on one because it is where I see the most/ biggest deer. I plan in getting 3 more properties to hunt for next season.

Last edited:
Going to retire my climber for those "hang and hunt" situations and replace it with either a muddy or lonewolf with climbing sticks.

Gonna have pics of all the shooters in the area. Need several areas. Stay out of good spots till rut Shooting lanes ready. Good set of rattling horns and new grunt call. More mornings. Practice and a goal in mind

I need to learn to find where the deer travel and hang out during hunting season, not during the late winter, spring, and summer months. Also focus more on bedding, funnels, and food areas and set stands accordingly. (On straighter trees also )

I learned not to try and shoot right behind the should blade. Hit a really nice buck this year in the shoulder blade and never found him just because I held too tight behind his shoulder. Going to be practicing shooting about 6 inches back on a life sized deer target so it will be second nature to aim there by next year.

I want to get food plots inand not burn out all my good stands early both of these have been a real challenge for me in years past

I am really going to get my food plot going this year! I am frost seeding Monday morning and going to plant native grasses around the perimeter to keep the deer secure. Also this will give me a way to get in/out of my stand without spooking game. Other than that, i need to find a new buck to chase this year!

Top Bottom