Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Passing bucks and success rate

I just enjoy the hunt. Getting to shoot a good buck would just be a bonus. Last year I killed a 10 pointer right under 160. I've got 3 on the wall so far.(Which is mostly just keeping the memory of the hunt alive)(I can look at the mount and remember the hunt well) So if I'm going to shoot one it will have to be bigger than the last.

I have passed a lot of 110-140 inch deer. Do not really get to concerned if I don't see them again. I followed 1 buck for 3 years. And that was really fun, He was smart, Only showed up on certain winds. And turned into a real stud. 180. Neighbor shot that deer. Was happy for him regardless.
Picture attached. 3 years history with him. Picture was from before neighbor shot him.

Attachments

• 20170812_111455.jpg
    20170812_111455.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 26
Passed on this one tonight and an hour later got a text from the neighbor that he shot it. It happens all of the time. He was really happy with him though, so good for him.

Attachments

• 20221028_174140.jpg
    20221028_174140.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 44
Personally I think mature buck mortality rate is quite high. Unless you own large plots of land, little pressure and good neighbors I can see it being aggravating.

Stack up that they're more likely to get killed during rut fights, catch EHD more frequently because of their antler size in velvet etc etc. But...you never know until you try.

Top Bottom