Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Peas and oats:

loneranger

I have been reading the Field Pea information here. I assume it is still not too late to plant them.Is it better to plant them with oats or rye? Do the deer like the Austrian or field peas better? Thanks.

Not to late. i planted AWP's last year with RYE, I wish I had got the peas in earlier BUT the rye in later BUT you can't have it both ways unless you plant seperately of course. I think I planted mine like Sept 1st maybe??? Can't remember. Dbltree surely will have more input and difference between peas.

I Know what you mean. I plant rye somewhere every season and wait until Sept. The deer density is not all that great around me. Even though my property is in SE Iowa. Last yr I had to whip the rye down twice until it got into Oct, and the deer really began munchin it. If I planted the rye now,,with the peas,,,I'd be doing alot of cutting it back, by hand. But as you say,,,you can't have it all ways.

Plant the peas with rye around Sept 1st Ed...for field pea (dried peas like soybeans) you need to plant in early July.

You'll like them better mixed with rye this fall so that the peas are only 3-4" high...check a recent post in the cereal grain thread in Dbltree's corner to see what I mean...;)

I'm located in SE MN and just did a plot with winter rye, plot spike oats and ladino clover and we've gotten rain the last two nights on it. Are you saying that it's too early...what happens with the rye?? Gets too tall? What will I have to do to maintain it?

I'm located in SE MN and just did a plot with winter rye, plot spike oats and ladino clover and we've gotten rain the last two nights on it. Are you saying that it's too early...what happens with the rye?? Gets too tall? What will I have to do to maintain it?

If the rye gets too tall, my suggestion would be to mow it back.

Yes,,in my opinion,,unless you have a ton a deer to mow it,,you will have to mow it. As stated,,,last Sept I planted rye and had to whip it back at least twice. Of coarse my deer density is low.

Top Bottom