Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Peas/oats/ brassica mixture

Right before a rain!

Actually….I would think as soon as you can. We are planting some on Friday in IA.

Right before a rain is good advice, :). But as far as "on the calendar"...I am happy to have cereal grains in right around Labor Day. A few days either way are just fine too.

I too don't mix much brassica in with the cereal grains...a few don't hurt it, but turnips planted in Sept may yield you some ping pong ball to tennis ball bulbs, you would be doing good to average golf ball size at that point. You really want to get those in now if you are shooting for softball size and above, IMO. Radishes...I think they grow more quickly than the turnips, you can get fair to decent radishes planting right around Sept. 1...but now to mid-August is better.

Solid above!!!!
My brassicas are done. Other than spotting in or spreading on some beat up crops (for plots).
i shoot for sept 1 for mix. Again- I start a week early so if I have problems - time to fix. & plan to end a week after sept 1 if needed. Good fertility & weed control- I plant it & done for summer!!! *might spray clethodim & crop oil on brassicas sometime in here too if needed.
but kill & drill about sept- I’m walking away after that. Done for year!

I have never had luck mixing the two. One or the other seems to suffer, usually the brassicas are thick and the grains don't do much or the opposite. If anything I would plant your greens asap assuming weeds are controlled and then add grains later based on browse and need. Old grains aren't popular most times.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I drilled both at same time over the weekend. Maybe I'm an idiot. Cereal grans were light rate on larger plots with better dirt. Heavier on smaller plots with higher browse pressure.

Top Bottom