Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting Cedars

Thinkin Rut

PMA Member
As I see all the cedars growing everywhere but where I want them, I was curious if you can plant Cedars without killing the vegetation or would you get quicker growth by killing the grass? And if killing the vegetation would be beneficial, could you get it killed before the trees would arrive from the state nursery or would I be better off waiting a year? Thanks for any suggestions!

Absolutely. Generic oust is a great tool for weed control in cedars. U can do it before the cedars arrive- makes it way easier to plant as well with dead sod. Will need to check up on them through out year if more weed control is needed or water the 1st year.

Great Skip thanks. Oust questions now...I take that is straight oust? Mix rate? Can that be used on cedars later in the year also? Can be used on shrubs and hardwoods during dormancy only?

I just got done planting 1000 bare root Cedars last weekend and have 600 more to go in this weekend. I sprayed 4' Roundup strips over the sod in the pasture that we are planting. Can Oust be used in the near future for newly transplanted seedlings without harming them...if needed?

Mixing rate?

Last edited:
I just got done planting 1000 bare root Cedars last weekend and have 600 more to go in this weekend. I sprayed 4' Roundup strips over the sod in the pasture that we are planting. Can Oust be used in the near future for newly transplanted seedlings without harming them...if needed?

Mixing rate?
Wow, that will be a nice planting!

Converting 3 acres of fairly steep pasture. 4 of us put 725 in on Sunday and 2 of us put in the remaining 275 on Monday. Moisture shouldn't be a problem for a while after the 2" of rain we had on Saturday...the ground was plenty wet!

Top Bottom