Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Price on Mathews Legacy

G

garstar

I went up to a dealer 60 miles from me to get a price on a Mathews Legacy and he was $699.99. He said that's the cheapest he could sell it for. I went down to Arizona this last week and they had them for $639.95. Does Mathews give different states better prices or is the guy by me greedy?

I think he must be greedy. Let me check with a buddy of mine to see what they sell the legacy for. Don't quote me but I think it is under 600 bucks..........S220

I believe they go for 749 here.
But at least they're kind enough to ask you exactly where you'd like the shaft they're about to give you.

We have them at $649.99 in Sioux Falls. We started them at $700, but the market dictated that we go down.

Mathews sets their own prices and it does vary.

mathews has them listed at mrsp 699.00 but wait they are coming out with a new one called the LX its retail is 20.00 more but has some new features

we sell them in our shop for $629.99. pricing is based on what ever the market will bear. some areas with many dealers will be more competative then an area where there are few dealers.

I was just thinking about why different places have the same equipment for different prices.I know in the lumber business that big stores like menards can afford to sell stuff so cheap because they order very large volumes of lumber and such at a time where smaller lumber yards order it a unit at a time.

Is this the case with archery equipment to?Or do some dealers just jack the prices way up.I know we gotta have one of the highest priced archery stores in the state up here but they have no competition and can charge what they want.The only way they lose businuess is if you order through the mail or drive an hour or better to go somewhere else.And with big items like bows they do very well cause nobody wants to spend that much on a mail order for something theyve never seen or shot.And if you need something during season you sure aint gonna wait 4 weeks for it to arrive.

I don't know anything about the bow shops you are talking about, but you should not get down on a retailer because his price on something is higher than someone elses. Retail pricing is a very complicated thing based on more than market pricing. If you have a local store I would urge you to support it as long as they provide a service and are respectful. Price ain't every thing.

Bigger stores can get into buying groups and by ordering large numbers demand a lower cost than the individual owner. They also have much higher overhead with buildings, rent, utilities, employees, insurances, and tons of others weather they sell anything or not. Because of catalog stores like Cabelas and Bass Pro some small stores sell big ticket items for very small profits and make up the difference on smaller accessories. How many of us have gone into a shop just to look at something so we could order it from cabelas cheaper. It cost money to have that item there for you to look at but not buy there. If a small local store sells 1 bow a week for the year and makes an extra $70.00 per bow that only adds upto $3640.00, not much of a living.

If you drive a hour each way to get a good deal and save $70.00 what have you really saved, and if your local store goes out of business because you did that where will you get that little emergency thing at the last moment before you leave on a hunting trip, or get your bow, which you bought else where, fixed. Now you have to drive two hours just because you saved $70 on your bow. All I'm saying is look at more than just the price on a bow.

I do look at more than just price.Theres also customer service.In this particulair shop if you dont shoot for em or know one of them, you dont get helped.I will admitt they are getting better on that part but for years thats the way they treated customers, and i cant blame people for not putting up with that.

If it were just 70 bucks it wouldnt be worth the drive, you are right.But the last time I made a list of what id need for bow and muzzleloader hunting.I went and looked at it in there, then when i was up in Minn with my kid at Rochester we stopped at cabellas on the way home.I bought all the same stuff in there, broadheads, stands, powder, bullets, arrows etc...I saved over 350 bucks.I dont have a problem sitting in the car for 3 hours for that much.

Again that was a couple years ago, I believe lately they have also come down some in prices.I do support them as much as I can, I plan to buy a new bow there this summer as a matter of fact.But if a local company wants business they have to earn it by more than just being the only store in town.

Horst
I agree that some places get pretty high handed if they are the only game in town. A bad reputation is easy to get and really tough to get rid of. Whether it is buying gear, looking for land to hunt, or just living, respect and support is a two way street. Everyone must give to get!

The closest Mathews dealer is 1 hour north. He didn't seem to want to give me the time of day. So I might be traveling a little. I might try a Hoyt. We have a dealer here. I just really liked that Mathews Legacy when I shot it. To many decision's my head is starting to hurt.
rolleyes.gif

Top Bottom