Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

ColoredRed24

Morning Everyone.

Currently living in Ames with the only private land I have access to being located in SE along the Missouri River (very far drive).

Trying this year to be able to hunt more often on the public land in Boone County.

My question is: Can I park on the side of the drove to access the public land around the Des Moines River or do I have to public at a designated parking spot?

Just trying to avoid as many people as possible and get to areas that has low pressure.

Thank you for any advice, tips or tricks.

Bowhunting

I've parked plenty of times road side along public and gone in and never had an issue, including a long a 4 lane highway many times. Not in Boone County though.

I know in South Dakota you have to be completely off the traveled portion of the roadway, that includes the shoulder too.
Im not sure what the law technically is in Iowa. Or if there is any such law at all.
I got a warning in South Dakota while antelope hunting because I was 8” into the traveled portion.

Are you parking on a highway or gravel? If it's a highway just get off the traveled portion. The biggest issue you'll have is a sticker on the window with a 24 hr notice from law enforcement to move. If it's a gravel as long as there's room to get around you there shouldn't be an issue, but you'll be out in the fall when farmers are moving large pieces of equipment so keep that in mind.

The best thing to do is once you have a couple spots you're interested in call the Boone County Law Enforcement Center at 515-433-0527. Let them know who you are, the area you will be parking, and what you're driving. That way if there is an issue they can get a hold of you, and they wont be guessing why you're parked where you are.

Only a couple of the Deputies hunt, and they hunt private so you won't have to worry about them stealing your spot. ;)

Are you parking on a highway or gravel? If it's a highway just get off the traveled portion. The biggest issue you'll have is a sticker on the window with a 24 hr notice from law enforcement to move. If it's a gravel as long as there's room to get around you there shouldn't be an issue, but you'll be out in the fall when farmers are moving large pieces of equipment so keep that in mind.

The best thing to do is once you have a couple spots you're interested in call the Boone County Law Enforcement Center at 515-433-0527. Let them know who you are, the area you will be parking, and what you're driving. That way if there is an issue they can get a hold of you, and they wont be guessing why you're parked where you are.

Only a couple of the Deputies hunt, and they hunt private so you won't have to worry about them stealing your spot. ;)
Legally there is no shoulder on a gravel road... Ditch to ditch is travel portion of the road and technically illegal to park on

I'm not going to get into the legalities, just real life likelihoods. If you park in a way that does not hurt anyone's property or obstruct the roadway it is very likely you will never have a problem. I see people parked like his regularly in Iowa and have no issues, especially during mushroom season.

Legally there is no shoulder on a gravel road... Ditch to ditch is travel portion of the road and technically illegal to park on
True that ditch to ditch is considered the traveled portion. False you can't park on it. There is court precedent establishing that if there is so many feet to get around a parked vehicle it is not parked illegally. Sorry, I don't remember the number of feet, but I've lost in court on this precedent in the past when I've cited someone for parking on a gravel road.

Top Bottom