Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Public Land Trail cameras?

flugge

So I have a buddy who is trying to hunt some new ground around the Decorah area (all public) He was excited about getting cameras up and scouting the area hard, but when he went back to check his cameras- all of his cards had been pulled. He has since ordered lock boxes and cables, but has pulled his cameras out for the time being. Any other ideas how to keep people from doing that other than the lock boxes? Not sure why people decide they want to do that sort of thing, I guess in my eyes they arent a true outdoorsman if they are willing to take things from others trying to bust their tail and do it the right way.
That being said, I am hunting a new piece of public this year and was asking the DNR about an access road that was marked and used as a snowmobile trail. Got told cant use it, etc etc...Low and behold, the day after I asked about it, the DNR drove past my camera for 7 days straight, stopping and looking at my camera, getting stuck in front of my camera, etc...generally 3 guys in a DNR marked truck (hate to say it, looks like the good ole boys group)... gets frustrating but not much can be done..
End of Rant :)

^^ above. Camo em in some. I did same exact scenario with catching trespassers or people stealing- hide cams so can’t see em. Works great. Some climbing sticks & steps with a hand snippers works pretty nice.
That sucks. Only or main part of Hunting I don’t like: the people that ruin it. I’d almost rather hunt somewhere with mediocre hunting vs area that has “good hunting” but lots of people that make it not fun.

I usually just brush them in really well and use a screw in camera mount instead of a strap so you cant see anything unless you're looking right at it. Blows my mind that that thought even crosses people's mind, committing a crime against a fellow sportsman. Shameful

Use sticks and get them up in the air. More out of sight and harder to get to for everyone who does see it.

At least 12 feet up, people won't notice them as much, another option, is to put the camera in an area where no one will likely walk...slough, wooded island, inside of a block of of thick cover.

I think it is an opportunity and panic when people see them.
I have had a cam stolen off of private land. I know I'm the only one with permission, so I assume it was someone that knew they weren't supposed to be there.

I have since either gotten a lock box and lag bolted them in, or as stated above, two climbing sticks and get them up high. two sticks should get you to around 12-15 ft(depending how tall and what your reach is.

I use two eye bolts to mount them. One with a lag thread on it, and one to bolt into the cam. The eye bolts are bolted together. This allows me to tip the cam down easily to aim it where I want.
I also use my phone to sit on the front of the camera to snap a picture to see that the camera is seeing to make sure it's set right.

"I also use my phone to sit on the front of the camera to snap a picture to see that the camera is seeing to make sure it's set right."

That's a good idea, I'm gonna use that.

It's a bad situation for sure but remember that you can't use screw in bolts or mounts on public ground. Don't want anyone to get their cameras confiscated or get ticketed.

Lock boxes are worth the money. Last year I had 6+ different hunters on cam on public and 4 of them had that, "I wonder if I can steal that camera look on their face!". . Well they couldn't steal it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

^^ Yeah, mine are all in lock boxes if they hit public ground. But private ground isnt even secure anymore, thats the terrible thing. I had a DNR truck with 3 guys standing and staring at my camera, I wish I would have had it in video mode after the fact because it was "off" on the aim after they were in the area...

Top Bottom