Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Putting a food plot in cedar thicket

deerhunter93

I have a 40 acre heavily timbered and heavy cedar property that I can put food plots on and I was wondering if there is anything I should take into consideration when chainsawing cedars and putting in a small 1/4-1/3 acre food plot next year? It is a mix of young cedars and grasses with pockets of thick/more mature cedars so I plan on just tackling the smaller cedars that are easier to take out with a chainsaw and that I can drag to the edge. I know a soil test will be beneficial and I'm sure the soils aren't going to be great. I'm thinking take out the cedars after deer season then I was wondering if I should spray glyphosate then burn, burn then spray, or just spray? Also, should I try buckwheat before a brassica or clover/rye/oats fall plot to help with weeds and build the soil? I'm all ears on suggestions since I'm new to the food plot stuff.

Thanks!
898cd5b93bb7aa9d3fd89e3aa3517ff9.jpg
a3382fef0615c0aa42807295109dbcd1.jpg
f8a0bcb0c5129256f1085dd214a006b4.jpg
3d9ba0e2e26c477466bd9c89c57b9e43.jpg
14a3c77757de8931cda70d932165e026.jpg
1983b42447b1da3f85840dec0749e6dd.jpg

Last edited:
I would pull them if possible. Root gone makes it much easier. Lots of contractors do it. Smaller stuff you can even hook a chain to a tractor or truck and yank them out yourself. If wanted to save the money you can flush cut them but then the stump remains to deal with for years.

Cedar areas I have always found to be low PH so plan on doing lime. Soil test is always great idea.

If its light grass, no need to burn. Just kill with gly and plant. If you have thick or heavy grass, I always start these new plots with a fire to get rid of the residue. One time deal, never have to burn again, but some of that grass gets so heavy and thick it is impossible to plant into without pushing it off or burning it up.

I'm a big fan of perennial clover mix in these cedar areas. Last many years and do well.

If you want a fall annual plot of brassicas I would probably start in the spring with a plow down annual clover such or crimson clover or similar.

My 2c. Post pics!

I second IowaBow...particularly pulling the cedars if you can, not cutting them off. Some stumps rot out in a year or two...cedar roots/stumps are still there and solid after several years. If you can't afford to pull them, it can work to cut them down...but you will be much happier pulling them IMO.

Also, check out a couple of good adjacent trees to put a stand(s) in and then shape your plot based on where you can get in and out on those spots if you can. I love the cover of a good cedar tree stand and you don't have to get way up there either.

All good info for sure!

To address the actual seed itself - first things first: putting in a food plot this close to season is kinda late. Not too late to get food in the ground, but too late for it too be picture perfect. Realistically, be planning next falls food plot right now and you'll be in serious business.

For this year, I'd suggest putting in easy growing blend of things that will jump start this year, last through the winter, and jump start your spring planting as well. Namely, I would look at a blend of cereal rye (not rye grass, which is just a filler in many name brand blends) as well as clover, and a few brassicas like purple top turnips, or a radish.

Specifically speaking, you'll want to spray down the existing grasses and let them brown a little, then plant this blend. If you can, adding a standard fertilizer like 19-19-19 (to help boost growth) at this time will help a bunch. And always plant before a rain.

Different successful blends that I've seen are -

Green cover seed's Fall Release (Bladen, Ne) https://greencover.com/shop/fall-release/

As well as Legacy blend from Stratton Seed (Stuttgart Arkansas)

Both have multiple clovers (which if planted in the fall won't make a great appearance until spring, but will attract and feed the deer and turkey at that point and set your plot up for a real success come next fall), multiple grasses like wheat, oats, and rye, as well as brassicas like purple top turnips (PTT).

Let us know how it turns out!

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

All good info for sure!

To address the actual seed itself - first things first: putting in a food plot this close to season is kinda late. Not too late to get food in the ground, but too late for it too be picture perfect. Realistically, be planning next falls food plot right now and you'll be in serious business.

For this year, I'd suggest putting in easy growing blend of things that will jump start this year, last through the winter, and jump start your spring planting as well. Namely, I would look at a blend of cereal rye (not rye grass, which is just a filler in many name brand blends) as well as clover, and a few brassicas like purple top turnips, or a radish.

Specifically speaking, you'll want to spray down the existing grasses and let them brown a little, then plant this blend. If you can, adding a standard fertilizer like 19-19-19 (to help boost growth) at this time will help a bunch. And always plant before a rain.

Different successful blends that I've seen are -

Green cover seed's Fall Release (Bladen, Ne) https://greencover.com/shop/fall-release/

As well as Legacy blend from Stratton Seed (Stuttgart Arkansas)

Both have multiple clovers (which if planted in the fall won't make a great appearance until spring, but will attract and feed the deer and turkey at that point and set your plot up for a real success come next fall), multiple grasses like wheat, oats, and rye, as well as brassicas like purple top turnips (PTT).

Let us know how it turns out!

I'd follow that up with a spring planting of more clover (this sets up your fall planting really well) along with vetch, barley, rapeseed, flax, etc.

Let that grow for a few months, all the while it's feeding the soil and giving you free fertilizer, feeding deer and turkey as well.

Come summer, plant a summer blend and terminate your spring crop.

Summer blends can consist of buckwheat, clover, beans, corn, sorghum, sunflowers, etc. Mixing all these different types of plants allows the plants to feed off of each other and enrich your soil.

It also feeds the deer and other wildlife how and when they want to eat certain things. Deer are selective browsers, they eat the most nutritious plants first and work their way down to the least nutritious or palatable food.

Providing mixes for them ensures that they stick around for longer periods of time.

Like all above stated. I would not burn it actually, usually cause you a nightmare in an area like that. Pull the trees, mow it short as possible, then kill it off with gly. Get a soil test and fertilize and plant.

I have a very similar plot I put half in clover and have in an annual blend to keep food around all year.

From your pics the area you are considering looks to be good bedding cover? I would think about putting your plot on the edge of the cedars for easy access, with wind direction a factor ?

Just my thought?

Top Bottom