Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rage Broadheads

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
A larger bodied broad head actually gives you better penetration. it is a little harder to get the head through but creates less arrow drag. The part that makes them possibly have less penetration and great blood trails are one in the same, 2 in cutting diameter.
I personally like them because the shoot great and I don't get that occasional flyer that I get with fixed blades. I do wish they made a 3 blade with a 1 1/4in cut though. JMHO

You don't need a pass through to kill a deer. If they were "right in the boiler room" a field tip would've killed them :D After shooting a bunch of deer and a couple of turkeys with them my only two complaints are 1) They're too expensive 2) You have to reset the blades when they come out of the quiver sometimes. Awesome penetration and fantastic blood trails. I too will offer to buy any new 2 or 3 blade heads for 50 cents on the dollar...negotiable :way:

NWBuck

It takes deer twice as long to bleed out when there isn't an exit hole. And it makes it 100 times as hard to track them! Pass through is the key. And a field point would have a better chance of doing that.

There is no way that it takes twice as long to bleed out without an exit wound. They are bleeding from all the vessels that are cut in the heart/lungs not from the in or out hole. The bleeding may be within the chest but they ARE "bleeding out"! That's just plain old physiology. Now perhaps there may be a bit less blood trail without an out hole especially if shot from above. On the other hand, at least in my experience, IF I put the "Rage in the cage" like I'm supposed to, the blood trails are so short that recoveries have still been quite quick. A bad hit is a bad hit no matter what broadhead is used. I used Muzzys for years and liked them but had some spotty blood trails even with out holes. Tried 2 blade Rage last year and have been very impressed. Never had a blood trail longer than 50 yards and even when the out hole was plugged with fat & guts in a doe that was quartering at me, the in hole was large enough that there was ample blood from it to track her the first 25 yards at which time the chest was full of blood and it was pouring out making the next 20 yards a piece of cake. If you don't like Rage, that's cool, but 100 times harder to track? Really? I like em. That's my opinion and I'll be quiet (unless I need to correct any more anatomy or physiology mistakes).

First of all, to me slicing and tearing (due to big "body") = more blood than just a simple 2" slice that closes back in on itself after the arrow is through. And the drag of that rage going all the way through has to use more energy than a fixed bladed with a little arrow drag. Not to mention rage loses a little energy due to its not so aerodynamic design. That chisel tip takes so much more energy to penetrate bone. Much more than a pointed broad head. Arrows with rage lose a ton of momentum as soon as they hit the hide/ribs. It's simple physics. Both are very capable broad heads, but they have very different characteristics. Rage is great for broadside shots with a relatively fast bow. Most of the more slim, pointed broad heads may not do as much damage as a well placed rage, but they are MUCH more versatile.

Last edited:
Every broadhead I've ever used works just as well as one or the other. If you hit them where it counts, they die quick. My buck this year died within 30 yards after I 12-ringed him with a 1" Slick Trick fixed blade. Would he have died sooner with a Rage? Nope. I used to shoot Rage and I put a lot of deer down with them. The only reason I quit using them was because I was sick and tired of replacing the O rings and the blades. It just seemed like a waste. I used the same Slick Trick and same arrow this year to take 2 does and my buck.

Bonehunter24 said:
So back to my original post, is anyone selling them?

I have some old one in my tackle box if u want them just pay shipping.

Mobile Cooter using IW

The new Rage Xtreme 2.3's I bought tore my Nov 4th buck up something fierce! Best blood trail I've ever had.....different strokes for different folks. Everyones gotta use what they are confident in!
20121112_112408.jpg

20121112_112426.jpg

IMG_2291.jpg

sureshot said:
The new Rage Xtreme 2.3's I bought tore my Nov 4th buck up something fierce! Best blood trail I've ever had.....different strokes for different folks. Everyones gotta use what they are confident in!

Sweet Jesus!! That is exactly what I have in my quiver this year (when hunting WI, illegal in MN). I have yet to let one fly but am anxiously awaiting that moment.

I guess my point is that bow hunting has enough variables as it is... why risk taking a shot on an animal with a broad head that is proven to be faulty. If they weren't a problem then people wouldn't be selling them. My experience with rage is seeing two bucks in the same day shot at a relatively steep angle right in the boiler room. (both were within 10 yards out of stands set around 18 feet) Neither one of the arrows passed through. One of them got jammed up in the tight ribs by the spine and didnt penetrate. the other hit 4 ribs back and never made it through the other side. Both of these deer were a pain to track, neither one bled for over a hundred yards. But i watched my buddy put a similar shot on a buck 2 days ago with a Striker and it blew right through. Same shot, smaller cutting diameter but pass through. Deer bled instantly and made for an easy recovery. Rage are probably ideal for hunting ground level or lower stands.

Good buddy shot a buck last night at 5 yards. Arrow didn't pass through on a quartering too shot. Even with that angle at 5yds there still should have been a pass through. Followed good blood for 300-400 yds, no deer. I shot 2 does this year with rages both under 20 yards and didn't find one and the other was a 300+ yd track job. Both deer were not pass through. I did however shoot a doe couple days ago with the new chisel tips and drilled her, complete pass through, and she piled up 60 yds away. I think they have fixed somewhat of there flaws from last yrs models but I'm still thinking next year I'm finding a new broad head.

Good buddy shot a buck last night at 5 yards. Arrow didn't pass through on a quartering too shot. Even with that angle at 5yds there still should have been a pass through. Followed good blood for 300-400 yds, no deer. I shot 2 does this year with rages both under 20 yards and didn't find one and the other was a 300+ yd track job. Both deer were not pass through. I did however shoot a doe couple days ago with the new chisel tips and drilled her, complete pass through, and she piled up 60 yds away. I think they have fixed somewhat of there flaws from last yrs models but I'm still thinking next year I'm finding a new broad head.

The chisel tip might be the problem solver!

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom