Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Red cedars

Check MO DNR. Chief river nursery. Cold stream nursery. If nothing on those 3.... fire back. U should be able to buy bulk cedar trees for under a dollar. Might be able to buy bigger ones still for under a dollar.
At wholesale non-state (private) nurseries - bigger in bulk - might be $1-2.

Idk how many you are looking for but I've moved hundreds if not thousands of 12-36" trees by hand. They are everywhere. Find a pasture with thousands and ask. It actually goes pretty fast. They seem to grow much faster than starting from bare root too.

I have done this with a few. What time of year works best for you?

When you remove the cedars from the ground, do you cut roots to a certain size or try to maintain their length?

What planting method has worked best for you when replanting?

Thanks for any input you have with this. I planted some six inch plugs from Van Pines about 8 years ago and have done absolutely nothing to help them at all. They are now approaching six feet tall and about three feet wide. I agree that transplants would be a better option, if you have a property that you can get trees from near you.

^^^^^ ABOVE IS MOST SUCCESSFUL METHOD.....
You need to keep in mind, even nurseries, unless plugs, cut them out of the ground, some roots do go by-by. Then, what else happens at Nursery???? They get STORED or sit or refrigerated.... usually fine. But, sometimes issues happen (sun on roots during harvest, dry out, etc). FINALLY.... You are taking from "their soil" and putting in "your soil".... Likely different & could shock a bit. Is all this ok? As long as trees are healthy & not mistreated, yes.

Is it more ideal to pull a tree from same area as you are planting? Absolutely!!!.... Same soil conditions. Trees are out of ground for short time and you know their care. You can baby them so you know they didn't have issues. If you can get a system down and a source to dig em up, be nice!!! Yep, more root you keep the better, but they can take a little setback for sure. 6" to maybe 18" is what I'd take. I use a shovel. I will dig deeper so I can spread roots out. Some guys do dribble bars on planting, fine as well. If you get moist soil, it's pretty easy. Somewhat labor and time intensive but effective!!

Could also do a combo.... "buy 100 and dig up 100". WHATEVER. Both have ups and downs of course.

IF ground aint froze, could do ANYTIME! Most folks pry do this in March though. Maybe early april.

I have done this with a few. What time of year works best for you?

When you remove the cedars from the ground, do you cut roots to a certain size or try to maintain their length?

What planting method has worked best for you when replanting?

Thanks for any input you have with this. I planted some six inch plugs from Van Pines about 8 years ago and have done absolutely nothing to help them at all. They are now approaching six feet tall and about three feet wide. I agree that transplants would be a better option, if you have a property that you can get trees from near you.
I go the width of a spade shovel on 4 sides and as deep as the shovel head. They pop right out. Root ball the size of a volleyball or basketball. Dig same size hole at transplant location. Jump on rootball to set it in.

You can damn near dig up a tree in a minute. You can easily move several hundred in a day.

Looking at the Iowa state nursery site they only have 4”-10” cedars left anywhere else to buy bigger ones?
I have found that those little trees have a higher survival rate, plus a year or two from now, you won't be able to tell a side by side difference of the smaller vs. the larger saplings. Easier to plant too.

I have been happy with Missouri's trees too but when I checked a couple of weeks ago, they were sold out.

I'd take the ones from the Ames nursery, I don't think you'll notice a difference in 5 years

I've also dug up and replanted hundreds of cedars, works great. Keep roots moist was key for survival for me. I've even done some 6' ones by hand when I needed a screen

When the first frost is out and snow melts no need to dig them, the small ones pull like a tough weed.Just toss in a bucket or old protein tub full of water.To replant just make a slot with a spade and stomp on both sides after placing the roots in to the right height. I carry a puddy knife to clean the spade between each tree makes the slot clean easy to work roots into slot.Tough little trees. Slotting like this keeps the ground from drying out like worked ground .I will run a weed eaters few times through the summer. Just watch so string doesn’t hit the bark. After a few you catch on fast.

Maybe think of another shrub or pine tree. Red cedar is a dirty word in the Loess hills. Can become very evasive.FYI.

Planting trees along a fence is ok. Just remember they grow quick .Measure a mature tree and make sure you far enough back it’s not grown in the fence in 10 years.

Top Bottom