Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

removing old tree pegs

Is there an "easy way" of removing pegs that the tree has started growing around them?? You know..ones that have been in the tree for 6+ years.

If so..please share!

If they break off, paint the bark around them and mark the tree with a NO. A logger will thank you in the future. It is never a good day to hit one of those with a saw.

Amen! I've got a few trees with paint marks where the steps are so when the time comes to convert them to firewood I can miss the metal. Steel steps and saw chain don't mix!!!!

Neighbor just logged his timber late this winter and he had the trees marked with pegs in them and we still found a giant cottonwood that some unfortunate logger wrecked a chain on!
I was plunge cutting a big red elm once and had about 18" of a 25" bar in the tree when i hit a very old roll of woven wire fence.... talk about a scare. Saws and metal dont mix

Yikes! I know a tree that will need to be marked in the future. Steps were left by a previous hunter. The bark is at least flush with the outside of the vertical part of the steps, so no turning these without more damage to the tree. I probably should try to get them out.

Could be a challenge depending how much the tree grew. In the past I used to back all my steps out about a turn or two when I took the stands down for the season to avoid this situation.

Try to get them out at all costs. I sometimes put a pipe on them for more leverage. If needed tap out with hammer. If you must use a wood chisel to remove bark and wood if you must. A loggers health might be harmed if not removed.

Thinking out loud cause I'm got some PERMANENT STEPS in trees for sure.... As long as it'll never get logged, it really won't hurt tree I'll bet. Grow around em. So, when hunting the tree, what if you used climbing stix & left the pegs but did all your climbing on the stix? I have successfully used sledge hammer but some are too far gone and I just get some new grizzly's on sale anyways each year. Maybe $40 a year is gone to the trees in some cases. Sledge hammer or never log & could use climbing stix later if wanted, about only options I'm coming up with but I'm a dumb dumb for some good solutions sometimes. How bout a Plasma torque to cut them out!?!? :)

Depending on how far the tree has grown around it, you could just chop around it with a hatchet.

Top Bottom