Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rough Winter

SB3

I'm just below the state line in MO and damn it's been a sheet of ice and snow since Christmas. Especially bad since we worked so hard and had the most quail sighting last summer than ever before. Corn and beans are gone, alfalfa and clover ate down to the nub and covered, they're digging hard for the turnips found 2 dead doe so far. On a good note, I walked thru a 20A patch I had TSI'd several years ago and noticed the deer are browsing heavy on the new undergrowth. This winter has been hard on the wildlife

Attachments

• 20210129_135827_resized.jpg
    20210129_135827_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 39
Let's hope they can make it to the coming warm up. Some of the timber edges should start to be exposed soon. The sun will get more intense.

Reactions: SB3
I was shocked to see 4 female Bobwhite quail running down the gravel road two weeks ago. Haven't been many in my area, doubt the deep snow and ice are doing them any favors. Hope they can hang on a little longer.

This a little off topic but this pic was taken in Oklahoma. The alligators are frozen in the water to breathe.... they are alive but in hibernation mode.
This weather is taking its toll on wildlife.
0E2F2161-847C-4B88-88B7-43AF52C2975E.jpeg

I was shocked to see 4 female Bobwhite quail running down the gravel road two weeks ago. Haven't been many in my area, doubt the deep snow and ice are doing them any favors. Hope they can hang on a little longer.

Same area tonight and saw a covey of 5 on the road. Fingers crossed for their survival.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Found this carcass yesterday. Torso length, hoof size and pedicle size has me guessing a 2.5 yo buck. There was a nice crop of 2.5s on cams this past fall - I hate finding these. Second winter in a row that I have found a dead buck carcass.
1936b8ecc442a31a09aa0d22f0bd46d9.jpg
3c5d1cae39e516eec97c44cbdc4e6dd1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Gator pic is CRAZY!!!!!!!
I find dead deer every year. I will post back if this year is abnormally high. I found a recent dead doe this weekend. I think a lot of folks will know a lot more in next 30 days. Forecast here appears like good news at least!!!!

I know its supposed to warm up but if we get another cold snap this thaw/freeze is gonna have a nasty layer of ice on the snow isn't it? Snow was dang near knee high last Friday and we got another 4 inches Sunday. Gonna be awhile before its gone

I think alot of the crop ground will be bare by the end of the week, just not that much snow due to the wind blowing. The timbers and fence rows are going to take awhile to melt though.

I get tired of finding dead bucks this time of year, I'm up to 5 so far and I don't cover that much ground. Found a 173" 16 point Saturday that I have had on camera for the last three years.

I think alot of the crop ground will be bare by the end of the week, just not that much snow due to the wind blowing. The timbers and fence rows are going to take awhile to melt though.

I get tired of finding dead bucks this time of year, I'm up to 5 so far and I don't cover that much ground. Found a 173" 16 point Saturday that I have had on camera for the last three years.
Any pics of that? Do you think it was weather related?

Been a bad one here in SW Iowa. I’m taking the kids shed hunting this weekend but will prolly stay out of bedding areas as they don’t need anymore stress on them. Will just walk feeding areas.

Top Bottom