Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rut Action/Movement Reports

One thing for sure, the ticks are in full rut with the warm weather. Just starting to see a couple fawns alone, some does are getting close!

FWIW, a lady at work showed me their home security video that showed a nice buck trotting through their driveway last night in the dark. This was in town in Marion, IA, probably a mile+ away from there is any type of deer cover. They're starting. :)

Edit to add: Another lady in the office just showed us pics from last night where they had a nice buck dogging a doe in their yard last night. This one around Solon.

Last edited:
FWIW, a lady at work showed me their home security video that showed a nice buck trotting through their driveway last night in the dark. This was in town in Marion, IA, probably a mile+ away from there is any type of deer cover. They're starting. :)

Edit to add: Another lady in the office just showed us pics from last night where they had a nice buck dogging a doe in their yard last night. This one around Solon.
Fork horns :D ;) :)
Couldn’t resist.

Couple guys texted me this morning that some decent deer running in front of their cell cams. I’m at the office next couple days with heat but early and late probably be worth being out.

Last edited:
Fork horns :D ;) :)
Couldn’t resist.

Couple guys texted me this morning that some decent deer running in front of their cell cams. I’m at the office next couple days with heat but early and late probably be worth being out.
I know you were just joshing me, but both bucks were respectable, probable 3 year olds with 120"-135" worth of bone. Good sized bodies too.

I saw a spike and a forkhorn trying to cross the gravel road in two different spots 5:30ish pm last night on my drive to the farm. Then, walking the dog right after dark, had a two year old buck almost run over us, not sure who was more surprised. Appears things are ramping up.

• Deleted by 8bitnes
  • Reason: Upload error
Show…
Had a buck chasing a doe last night, then this morning had three does come by the stand with a dink buck in tow then a few minutes a small racked 8, then a 130" 8 came from the south and ended with a nice 10-12 point that I planned to draw on, but he didn't offer a shot and moved the other bucks away. All were just scent checking these three does. SW Warren county. The larger buck I'm sure is the same one I seen Sunday morning.

Got home from a family dinner tonight celebrating my younger son's BD and there were 5 deer in the front yard, otherwise known as a food plot this year. :) A doe, two fawns and two bucks, the larger one probably a 115"er or so. The bucks would not leave the does though even as the does crossed in front of us and trotted up through our side yard.

Man, I wish it wasn't 75 degrees out!!!

I’m sneaking out early and late, no deer. I’m at a loss. This summer like weather sucks. Over the years I’ve placed stands for mostly north and west winds. Maybe I’m old but I we can’t get a wind other than south. In a few days an east wind is forecast. What? That does work for one of my best stands but it’s odd.

I’m sneaking out early and late, no deer. I’m at a loss. This summer like weather sucks. Over the years I’ve placed stands for mostly north and west winds. Maybe I’m old but I we can’t get a wind other than south. In a few days an east wind is forecast. What? That does work for one of my best stands but it’s odd.
What I'm concerned with is if all the bucks keep their nose into the wind they'll all end up in misery or Missouri as some call it

Only seeing dinks and a few does now and then on my cell cam. I pulled cards last week and really not much. There was a decent 3.5 year old working a horizontal rub I put up in the dark, but overall, nothing much I have seen to get excited about yet. But, it was like this last year too. Pics of shooters started coming in late November. I still have hope. Just so hot and dry so far.

Top Bottom