Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Saddle Mount for shotgun w/ rifled barrel

MisterTwoForty

Has anyone used a saddle mount to mount a scope on a shotgun? How was the accuracy?

I am looking to add a scope to my 870 12g with a rifled slug barrel that is currently iron sights only. Have not had any luck finding a cantilever barrel for a reasonable price and am not wanting to drill/tap the receiver because I also use it for turkey hunting.

Wanting to get your experiences if this is a worthwhile endeavor.

I used one years ago on a Mossberg and it sucked. Optics really need to be attached to the barrel to hold any type of good accuracy. IMO

I used one for years on my 1187 and it was fine but eventually went to cantilever barrel. Still use one on the kids 1187 youth 20g. Its fine. Killed plenty of deer. You have to be careful on not to over tighten them or they won't cycle. I'll see if I can find the one I used for my 12g. If I can find it and it works you can have it. Not sure if its interchangeable or not.

I havent found one, at least in a length I am comfortable with. I like the 18.5" barrel and all the ones I've seen for 12g have been 23-24". So thats why I am looking at the saddle mount route.

I have a saddle mount for my Rem 870 and haven’t used it in years, mainly because I’d rather use a ML. Accuracy wasn’t it’s strong suit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why not drill and tap? A scope for turkeys isn’t a bad thing. Go with a “red dot” and just leave it on there. Or pull it off and put the filler screws back in. Your planning to take it off with the saddle mount anyway.

I’ve seen cantilever mounts that replace the rear sight. I know Henry has one for their rifles. Maybe that would work or figure out the manufacturer and see if they offer one for your gun.

As for the saddle mount, I’ve got one on an 1100 and it’s worked and held up fine.

Last edited:
I have used a few saddle mounts and had fine results on shotguns. I did get the ones that go all the way over/around the receiver though. There are some that just come up one side and are flimsy. When I say "fine" I mean that sabots were easy 3" groups at 100 yards and 4-5" at 150 yards. With the right slugs I cold do better than this also.

Probably not a surprise to most in here... but I should add that finding the slugs my guns liked has been much more impactful on accuracy than if I had a saddle or cantilever over the years.

Last edited:
  • Deleted by 2-bucks
  • Reason: double post
Show…
I have one on my Mossberg 500, used it for years without any issues. Alway held zero using 3" Brenneke slugs with 18 1/2" barrel and that thing would kick! I did modify the holes where it mounted to get it to lay flat on the receiver versus setting up.

Top Bottom