Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sawtooth Oak question

203ntyp

PMA Member
I have some Sawtooth Oaks that produce well and always had a lot of foliage for years but this year one looks bad. Not sure why but there aren't many leaves but a lot of catkins.
Sawtooth Catkins.jpg

The others look like they usually would, Any thoughts on why? The one below and the rest of them look relatively normal.
Sawtooth Oak.jpg

Winter freeze maybe set them back??? U have a really hard winter in ur spot? Looks like possible winter die back. Sometimes hits individual trees worse than others. Sawtooth range - up here getting bit N for them. Bet they bounce back. Other things.... could have some damage from anything from a Vole to herbicides to an Un-noticed wound. Fire back if it keeps dying off or if others exhibit same thing- hopefully not.

Our winter wasn't as bad this year but we did have some prolonged high winds 50+ for almost 2 days when it was pretty cold. Wind burn? The wind did take out part of another oak but it looks okay. Just the one has little foliage, no sign of damage anywhere. Been an extremely dry spring though this year, no rain for over 2 weeks and abnormally hot for a week, yesterday 93 and today 59 for the high, roller-coaster weather! I'd guess the trees are about 12 years old at least. I started some more this spring in grow tubes and they're taking off nicely.

Our winter wasn't as bad this year but we did have some prolonged high winds 50+ for almost 2 days when it was pretty cold. Wind burn? The wind did take out part of another oak but it looks okay. Just the one has little foliage, no sign of damage anywhere. Been an extremely dry spring though this year, no rain for over 2 weeks and abnormally hot for a week, yesterday 93 and today 59 for the high, roller-coaster weather! I'd guess the trees are about 12 years old at least. I started some more this spring in grow tubes and they're taking off nicely.
Many acorns yet?

Top Bottom