Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

School, education, opinion

luvtohunt

Just looking for opinions from Parents or Grandparents. I have been taking my son out of school every two to three days in the morning for a few hours to take him Turkey Hunting. The school considers this a non-excused absence, so in order for me to do this, I have to write a note to the teacher telling them that my son has an appointment, now granted technically he does have an appointment to be in the woods hunting, but realistically I am lying and my son is aware of this and he also has to not be completely truthful. My question is do you think the end justifies the means, or do you think I am sending him the wrong message? Incidentally he gets very good grades, and based on the papers he brings home daily, the missed school has had no measurable negative effect on him. In my heart I can and do justify it, but I don't feel good about him witnessing me sending these notes and him being told that he can't tell anyone that we are going hunting. The school he goes to is a private school, so they can make up the rules as they see fit, (for instance, taking him to the mall of America for a day of shopping is considered an excued absence, but hunting is not, because he does not learn any thing tangible from hunting??) A very good friend of mine recently told me this as I was telling him about my situation. "Don't let school interfere with his Education!!

Thanks for your views.

You are absolutely justified! When I was in school, my dad always called me in. However, he told them that I was going hunting. I do not think that you have to even give them a reaso, just call in and say "My son will late a couple hours late today." Enough said. If that is not good enough, talk to some of the school officials. As far as not learning anything while hunting, I think that he probably learns 10 fold what he would learn in a class room. Not to mention hunter safety course. How many kids in school would voluntarily attend a class and take a test?

I wouldn't worry about it. Does the school actually make you give them a reason? I always tell them. My son will not be in school today. On the rare occaisson someone did ask ,I believe I told them it was a private family matter and that was the end of it. You wont ruin your sons values he probably is aware of what you are doing and that it is not hurtful to anyone.

It's not going to hurt anything. And you said he still gets good grades. I teach high school biology. Many of my students hunt, and I always grin and shake my head when they just so happen to be "sick" the opening day of deer or turkey season. I have them bring in turkey beards and shed antlers for extra credit. Students have activities where they leave school early all the time. Even if it's a "school event", they still miss out on academic stuff & make up the work. I see something like this as no different. They're still learning something, making up the work when they get back, and are able to spend some quality time with their dad.

Follow your heart. Decide what values you want your son to grow up with. While hunting is important to you, especially the time with you spend hunting with your son, honesty and integrity have to be more important. It's a shame that the school you pay to send your son to puts you in a situation that has obviously caused you a moral dilema. If it were me and I was in your shoes I would probably look for alternatives in my hunting schedule that would not put either of you at risk of being dishonest. It is too bad that our schools have forgotten the value of family. If more fathers spent time with there children and cared about them the way you do about your son, the world would be a much better place. There is and old saying that goes, "Give a child a fish and he will be fed for a day, teach a child to fish and he will be fed for life." Maybe your shool directors have forgotten that one. Good Luck!

I used to do the same thing with my son and alway's wondered if it was the right thing to do,but I think that anytime you spend quality time with your children it's not a bad thing.My son has a deep love of the outdoor's and it's something that nobody can ever take away from him,he has made some bad desision's in his life as have I but nobody will ever convince me that the time we spent in the outdoor's together when he should have been in school was a bad thing.I would do it all over again without a doubt and have no regret's what so ever!!!I know that he is a better person because he has a love of the outdoor's and if that is not reason enough then I think that the school has a few thing's to LEARN.

I agree with kansan. I also teach school and love to see my students spending time in the outdoors. If we don't teach them when their young we'll lose them. I wish my Dad would have done the same for me. I didn't start hunting till I was out of the house and now my wife probably wishes I never would have started. I bring in antlers, beards, pictures whatever it takes to get the students interested. In the big picture of life are a few days of missed school really going to amount to much? If the kid does his work, keeps the grade up, and stays out of trouble more power to you. KEEP EM' HUNTING.
grin.gif

I would never tell my children or my students to lie in order to get what they want. I would expect my parents to be honest with the school and tell them the truth. Students miss school for a variety of reasons, spending time with their parents, to me, is an excused absence. I agree completely with Camoman in the fact that our best teaching is done through example. We need to teach our kids first to be truthful and respectful. The outdoors is a great way to gain a childs trust, but when we use the outdoors to teach our kids to lie, no matter how justifed it might seem, we ruin it for the kids. Lie about where you going and whats to stop you from shooting an animal out of season? Keep it honest and Keep em' hunting.

I was really feeling pretty good about things until the last few posts, its not that I disagree, in fact that is why I originally posted. Maybe a few more facts will clear up the picture. First I can take my son to a ballgame out of town, or to the Mall of America, or even to a Movie, because the school has determined that is an excused absence, but hunting is NOT an excused absence. I take both my boys out West each year, The only way that I can take them hunting for a week each fall, is to assure the school that we are going to go to some historical monuments, and other so called approved educational stops. Don't get me wrong, I would do this anyway, because we make it a vacation not just a hunting trip, we go to Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, Deadwood S. D. etc, etc. My sons both go to the same school, it is a small private school, and they both receive a very good education along traditional lines, however the stance on hunting has really crossed the line with me, and again I really do appreciate all of the posts from both sides, and I guess in the long run I hope I will raise both of my sons with high moral values and I will live with the repercussions of my teachings, hopefully all good, but live with them regardless. Some how writing the note at 10:30 this morning stating that my son was at an appointment with me earlier in the morning did not seem very significant, especially compared to the fact that we both were together on a wooded ridgetop listening to the woods wake up and all of the splender of God's creations! I wouldn't trade that for anything. thanks again for all of your opinions!

I was reading these posts with interest and was chuckling to myself alittle because of an incident that happened the other day at one of the schools that I visit on occassion. As a law enforcement officer I spend alot of time visiting my former students I had in the DARE program. I have known all of the seniors since they were in 6th grade. As I was talking with the principle in the hallway one of the seniors, Mike, came up to us dressed in camo clothing. He handed us a note smiling that indicated he had a doctor's appt. How could you not laugh. We both knew he had no such appointment but the note was necessary for it to be an excused absence. He knew and we knew and as he left we wished him good luck turkey hunting. This kid has had a passion for the outdoors ever since I have known him. He is a good student and very respectful. If you want to set a good example for our youth you have to let them know that we understand them and trust them to do the right things. The principal's understanding of letting Mike leave the building to hunt with his dad reflects his understanding and needs of his students. Mike received a good education that day. I think he learned that sometimes there are things that are just the right thing to do no matter what anybody else thinks. Maybe he will return that favor someday

My view on this subject is a little different than most of the previous ones. I agree fully that a father spending time hunting/fishing with their kids is one of the greatest things. My 11 year old son will start bowhunting this fall, and I am extremely excited about that. The dilemma is in what we teach our kids. If I were to tell the school what is, in essence, a lie, then I have set a less than good example for my kid. It quietly teaches him that if you want something bad enough, then the end justifies the means. I try very hard to work around other obligations, and believe that there are plenty of hunting opportunities outside of school time (usually). As much as I want to teach my son what I have learned about hunting and fishing, I want to first teach him about family, integrity and responsibility. I don't judge others who handle this situation differently than I do, I just know that most of my teaching is by example, and I don't want to send him mixed signals as he goes down the path to manhood. With all this said, I want to end it by telling you that you are doing a great thing by spending time with your kid(s). I can think of several kids I know who would give anything or do anything to have someone give them just a few minutes. Love 'em first, and the rest is just details. Good luck and happy hunting.

I've got to jumo on this topic too as I am also a teacher here in Saskatchewan. I do not have any children yet as I am still a kid myself at 26 but when I do I know what my views on this topic will be. Each day I go to work and teach my students what the govt outlines what they must learn. While doing this I also throw in some of my "special units" on topics that I know that they'll enjoy such as fishing and outdoor survival. While the school frowns on students missing school for any reason other than illness or medical appointments I tell my students that if they want to go hunting or fishing with their father or grandfather or anyone special to them then they should. Many of the greatest lessons I've learned, fascinating things I've saw, and special moments with loved ones have come in the outdoors. While I agree it's not a great idea to teach our children to lie, I believe that kids raised right and with a love of the outdoors will become responsible and respectful enough to discriminate a lie from a "little white lie". Heck I was sick from work this year on the opening day of muzzleloader season, but not sick enough to keep me out of my stand all damn day.

Neither of my parents were hunters, but both were very understanding when it came to my hunting addiction. My mom was even a high school teacher. They did tend to frown when I took a low light shot on Sunday night that required searching on Monday morning! I can't tell you how much trouble I stayed out of because of hunting. When my friends were out "partying" on Friday nights after the football game, I was driving to Grandpa's to get some sleep for the next mornings bowhunt. When it was my friends that ended up in trouble, my parents gave a sigh of relief knowing that I was in the woods instead of in the jailhouse. Anyway, get your kids in the woods every chance you get. Many kids these days don't know what's outside of the city limits or off of there computer screens. Once they are hooked, it is a good incentive to help keep those grades up. No grades, no hunting!
wink.gif

Well said from all.
The best thing to do is to take your kids, wife, friend, anyone. Just get them in the woods and let Mother Nature show them the rest. The sunrise, the sunset. It is the best schooling ever.

Honesty, integrity and responsibility. You're their most visited classroom. If each of us made decision based on our perspective what would be the point in having rules and laws. A better example would be for you to attempt to change school policy and live with the result. Your children are going to have to live within this system. They will have to learn to take a stand in the right manor, accept the situation or take the easy way. I know I would like to take the easy way on this subject. I haven't because of encouragement I have received that in my heart I knew was right. Honesty, integrity and responsibility, do you want them to live it or pick and choose when it is good for them. God knows it's not easy with all the world has to offer. Can taking an unexcused absence make it right? This is the best subject I have seen here since becoming a member a few months back. Thanks.

There is more to life then learning to live within a system.I'm not saying to lie to get your child out of school but I also believe that time spent one on one with your kid's is one of the best thing's going as far as educating them.To many parent's forget about this.

trper,
Very well said.

Ogz,
I find it very hard to believe that you stayed out of trouble... I don't know how they spell it at Iowa State but most people spell it ..."understand"... ;0)> Check your private messages.

luvtohunt,
I am in the same boat with Ogz. My Dad took me hunting before I could walk. I still remember the time spent and lessons learned. We are still hunting together thirty some years later. Did I care where the party was on Friday night? No. Did I care where the gobbling was going to be the next day... Yeeeeaaaaah!

He is your son and you are the best one to decide what is best for him, not the school. Part of the problem today is the "Mall of America" as a excused absence, the video game that teaches, if you push the reset button everyone will come back to life. One of the things that you are teaching your son is that once you pull the trigger there is no reset button.

If you are spending that much time with your children they know what is right and wrong. Common sense goes a long way in this case. Don't let any school decide what is an excused or unexcused absence for your children.

KANSAN, Saskguy I hope my son is lucky enough to have a couple teachers like you before he graduates!

Great thread!
grin.gif

Tried sending a private message back but it wouldn't go through. Boy, your brother doesn't take a very good picture!!! Here kitty, kitty.
wink.gif

Ironwood I respect you opinion and know your intentions as well as idea's are for a kids or your own children's best interest. What I guess I don't understand is what you mean by living within the sytem. The system says that if I catch you traveling above the speed limit I should write you a citation. But instead I give you a warning because you are in a hurry to pick up your kid at school or late for a meeting. Or in some cases such as I have had mom or dad is taking a sick child to the hospital. Like I said before sometimes there are situations in life that we who consider ourselves to be honest and respectful, are just the right thing to do! Parent's can teach that when they spend quality time with their kids. In law enforcement we call that discretion. Thank god I am able to use that because if I had to abide by the system and its laws I could not do my job. Sometimes we even try to get the laws changed for the better but there is always somebody out their looking thru a different window of life. Oh well just my 2 cents worth. I hope I did not misunderstand your post. If I did I apologize.

If we are in the woods and we break a law, but no one is there to see it, are we still guilty?

Your heart will tell you based on your values.

I can only say that my Father and I shared a great many hours in the woods, but he always taught me to be a responsible human being first and an outdoorsman second.

Top Bottom