Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

School, education, opinion

There's nothing in this great state that I would rather do than hunt and fish. Unfortunately, the school schedule isn't exactly flexible, so my hunting and fishing is largly limited to the weekends. I can tell you honestly that this has in no way limited my exposure to the outdoors. I feel like I'm the most privileged teen in the world. My weekends have, consequently, been very busy, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Knowing that I only have so much time away from (or maybe it's time with) reality almost makes the days out on the farm seem even more special. I don't need to be out there 24/7 to know the woods like the back of my hand. I for one would actually feel guilty about leaving school to hunt. The weekends work for me.
luvtohunt, I'm not trying to persuade you into doing one thing or the other, just offering you a different perspective. What you do need to do is spend as much time as you can hunting with your son. Whether or not you pull him out of school is up to you and your family, but I can tell you that some of the fondest memories you two share together will be out in that turkey blind where someone misses a bird at ten yards, or in that tree stand where he bags the biggest buck of his life. The important thing is that you're there, too.

Well said, trper. America could use more law enforcement officers like you.

trper,
I have read almost nothing here in this forum that I would not want to agree with. Living within the system sounds kind of tight; I know there are times when you need to use sound discretion. We can unwittingly teach our children if it feels good do it. That is my own personal concern when I consider bending any rule with my kids present. Madisonb&c is my 15 year old son and I really, in a big way, wanted to ditch school with him to hunt the youth deer season a few years back. He shares my values and we share all of our available time. I have already told him it will be hard when he has to drag me out here in my eighties and sit me down next to fence to do my hunting. He hopes diapers are not part of those outings. Go to his profile and check out his web sight. Kernel G. and Captain N in the DM area are friends/clients. Also know the Mother of one of your CB troopers who is in my line of work. I say again best forum to date.

To straight for my own good,

Ironwood,
Tell Colonel G and Captain N hi for me. I know them both very well. If you mention to Colonel G that you talk with a trper over in Council bluffs that is an avid deer hunter he will know who you are talking about. Him and I are good friends. We use to work out at the gym together in CB before he moved back to Des Moines. Captain N and I talk deer hunting occassionally when I see him. He is our area commander. Not being nosy but what line of work are you in? Best wishes and have a safe Memorial day weekend.

trper,
I am a realtor. With all of the moving you people do it has been good to me. That trooper’s mom I mentioned has been a referral contact for me in CB. I hope you have a quiet holiday weekend.

I hope what luvtohunt has started will bring out the best of parents in all of us!!I have 4 kids that luv to do outdoor activities and have just completed taking my 4 year old daughter fishing Friday, I think she is a natural.I also pulled my two toeheads out of school for a day to mushroom hunt/fish for a day.I pull my thirteen year old out of school for a day of turkey hunting,and pull him a day to bowhunt during the rut.My father only took me fishing a few times when I was a child,we didn't have alot,so my dad was very busy to make ends meet and provide what he could for us.I still remember those trips, and YES they are priceless!!I donate alot of my time around the community coaching, participating on soccer boards,High School Athletic Boosters,and most importantly being a responsible husband/father.If I know that pulling my children from school will not affect any major tests,and it's just homework they can make up, then we're out of here!!I use up alot of my free time to benefit others in the community, so I feel that I OWE IT to my children to give them these moments!!Besides, half the time these kids are on early out,or theres some in service, or just plain ol winter/spring break.Boy it sure seems to me sometimes that they really don't spend as much time in school.Maybe the school board should reconfigure to a one week fall break around the first to second week of November, and make spring break, OH, I'd say the later part of April.Yeah,now there's something to throw out at the people we elect in Des Moines!!Just kiddin,have a fun weekend and make it warm up so we can go out fishing.

Several years ago I measured a deer for a young man from the Glenwood, IA area. His dad had taken him out of school to hunt for the day as an award for having good grades.

North American Whitetail magazine did a story on him and another student I believe lived in upstate New York. The story's main emphasis wasn't the size of the deer taken by both young hunters but good students + good grades = a day of hunting.

By the way the Glenwood buck scored 190+ typical(and was entered into B&C) and the New York buck was a large 230(?) nontypical.

Doug Clayton

Top Bottom