Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Second season bird

HorseDoctor

PMA Member
Usually hunt 1st season but rain forcast was a good excuse to try second this year. Was out early Friday AM in a favored spot. Was a little disappointed by the lack of tree talk early as this place usually has lots of that. Only a few faint gobbles that sounded like a half a mile north of me. Nothing better to do so I hunkered in & got comfortable. Saw pheasants, woodies, geese and a group of 4 bucks (1"-3" nubs already) walk buy all within 50 yards. At least it was interesting viewing. Then about 8:30 heard a goggle from way north again, or was it south??? Called a bit on a glass and thought I got a distant response but for sure from the south. Long story shortened a bit; soon realized I had distant birds coming my way from both directions... Game on! First bird sighted was from the south. say a red head in the brush at a little over 100 yards. Pushed the button and started "Pretty Boy" turning and all of a sudden I see 3 red heads and they all gobble. Figured for sure I had a group of juvenile delinquent jakes looking for trouble so pulled out my Finbonz wingbone call to play with them a bit and get some real life practice with it. They loved (or hated) it and gobble their heads off over the next 50-60 yards as they worked through some heavy brush. When they finally stepped out of the brush at 45 yards I was pleasantly surprised to see they were all strutting longbeards and not jakes at all. Change of plan. Not playing anymore. Put down the wingbone & picked up "Big 10" and treated the largest one to 2 1/2 oz. of #7 HeviShot in the face. Game over! Turned out to be a nice 2 year old bird. Spurs at 7/8", 9 1/2" beard and a healthy 24#. Great fun, and I could sleep in this morning...:D

IMG_0145.jpg

Top Bottom