Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Senate version of NRLO bill SSB 3129

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill appears to be identical to HF 2190.

Link to bill: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislation/BillBook?ga=$selectedGa.generalAssemblyID&ba=SSB3129

Subcommittee appointed:

Senator Nate Boulton, Senate District 16 (Polk county, parts of Des Moines and Pleasant Hill) Email: [email protected] Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=18073

Senator Cournoyer. Senate District 49 (Clinton and part of Scott counties) Legislative web page: [email protected] Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27004

Senator Dan Zumbach, Senate District 48 (Delaware and parts of Buchannan, Linn and Jones counties) Email: [email protected] Legislative web page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=10733

Meeting date and time have not been set as of this post 2/7/20

At work with time on my hands so I sent of emails to the Senators on the sub. Just got a short response back with the usual thanks and mention that "This has started a larger overall conversation about hunting for residents and non-residents in general".

Not sure what to make of that.

Confusing??

Always happy to help my lesser brethren from the north out, what can I do to help relieve your confusion? :)

I could guess maybe one is in the House and one is in the Senate? I'll try and clarify but I need to know what you need clarified.

Stipulations who would qualify ? I read it, just saying not many would even meet the criteria ... 5 year wait ..?
Is that Per parcel?

Last edited:
It’s counter intuitive. If this passed I would drop crp and recoup my money by renting to a “new” farmer. Whatever that is. In doing so I’m removing wildlife cover and anti erosion cover. The 80 acre and 5 year ownership requirement is good.

I am a 70 plus yr. old NRLO. Worked 3 jobs most of my life and bought my first IA. farm in 2003......still work 2 jobs..... I would draw a bow tag every other year in the early 2000's ....that was ok with me.....it now takes me 4 points in my pocket to draw on the 5th year.( I only bow hunt) ....Love Iowa, love the many friends I have made there.....I spend a lot of time and $$$ in Iowa working on my farms but must rely on local contractors, companies, farmers to implement my habitat enhancement/ farm plans. .....Iowa IS IMO the best state in the country to encounter mature bucks. I don't want that to change......under current regulations and assuming I can remain healthy for another decade I will get to bow hunt my farms 2 more times between now and when I turn 82.......as a side note I allow 5-6 Iowa residents to hunt my farms annually. ...in 2019 I invested over $80,000. on farm related expenses (since 2003 probably averaged $40-50,000.per yr.) ......and the bulk of those expenditures go directly to Iowa individuals and businesses. I believe I am an economic asset to the both the state and local economy. Additionally my food plots and habitat enhancement projects benefit all wildlife in the area. Not a pity party here....I don't want to see Iowa go the way of Illinois.....just hoping some reasonable but restricted regulation might allow a old bow hunter like me enjoy my farms on a more regular basis before I turn into N-P-K for my brassica plots : ))

I am a 70 plus yr. old NRLO. Worked 3 jobs most of my life and bought my first IA. farm in 2003......still work 2 jobs..... I would draw a bow tag every other year in the early 2000's ....that was ok with me.....it now takes me 4 points in my pocket to draw on the 5th year.( I only bow hunt) ....Love Iowa, love the many friends I have made there.....I spend a lot of time and $$$ in Iowa working on my farms but must rely on local contractors, companies, farmers to implement my habitat enhancement/ farm plans. .....Iowa IS IMO the best state in the country to encounter mature bucks. I don't want that to change......under current regulations and assuming I can remain healthy for another decade I will get to bow hunt my farms 2 more times between now and when I turn 82.......as a side note I allow 5-6 Iowa residents to hunt my farms annually. ...in 2019 I invested over $80,000. on farm related expenses (since 2003 probably averaged $40-50,000.per yr.) ......and the bulk of those expenditures go directly to Iowa individuals and businesses. I believe I am an economic asset to the both the state and local economy. Additionally my food plots and habitat enhancement projects benefit all wildlife in the area. Not a pity party here....I don't want to see Iowa go the way of Illinois.....just hoping some reasonable but restricted regulation might allow a old bow hunter like me enjoy my farms on a more regular basis before I turn into N-P-K for my brassica plots : ))

Besides maybe crop expenses which you get back and and hopefully make a profit on I am dying to know what you spend 40-50k per year average on your farm? Per your figures you’ve spent on the low end 700k on improvements? I would forget Iowa and hunt all over the world if I was spending that.

Curious to know if the Farm Bureau has an opinion on this subject and if they're going to weigh in. I'm sure they like the No CRP and the like stipulations but would think farmers wouldn't want the added competition from out state.

My bookkeeper has 24 different expense categories for the Iowa farms. Accounting, Auto, Bank Service charges, Cameras ( 44 plus 6 cellulars),Contract labor, Dues & Subscriptions,Food & Beverage, Food Plot Supplies, Hunting Misc., Insurance,Interest expense, Permits & Fees, Office Supplies, Professional Fees, Repairs and Maintenance, General Supplies, Taxes, Travel, Meals, Utilities...plus a few more....

Contract Labor $21,272.
Interest Expense $11,485.
Taxes $7,310.
Food Plot supplies $6,432.
Insurance $2,435.
Professional Fees$2,320.
General supplies $4,145.
Meals ( restaurants in Iowa) $1,279.
Travel $3,856. (airfare,car rental)
That's $60,000. + for 9 of the 24 expense categories....
Those 9 categories, for the most part, reoccur annually .....nearly ever dollar generated from the farms go right back into the local economy.......yes,some would say I'm nuts, and maybe I am, but that's how I choose to invest my $$.....

Looks like you have a damn good accountant if somehow you can write food plots, cameras, travel and everything else for your farm off. I thought we had good accountants lol

Last edited:
We write off travel, etc...fence repair, CRP mowing. Didn't know food plots could be included?

That's how my bookkeeper categorizes expenses....not saying all expenses are written off...that spreadsheet is shared with my accountant and he only writes off what is allowed....

Good reply - I think we are on the same page with not wanting IA's great hunting to go away - that's what brought you here in the first place right? I think it's great you're willing and trusting to let others hunt your place. I think about it often but I'm not sure what restrictions we could put in that give some incentive to non-resident landowners but not too much without opening the flood gates to turn IA in to IL. This is a tough one. Other states have screwed up so much IA's demand has grown a ton - how do we let everyone, whether they own land or not, enjoy the great hunting here without knocking down the quality of hunting?

Now everyone here is a CPA. Lol. I approach 20k per year easily. Depending on the size and operation of the farm Medicine could no doubt approach those numbers.

One fairly large equipment, vehicle, etc purchase per year, which many farmers do for a 100% write off under section 179, drives up numbers quickly.

Last edited:
Now everyone here is a CPA. Lol. I approach 20k per year easily. Depending on the size and operation of the farm Medicine could no doubt approach those numbers.

One fairly large equipment, vehicle, etc purchase per year, which many farmers do for a 100% write off under section 179, drives up numbers quickly.

And if every non resident was judged by your replies and posts on here most of them would not be welcome on the site or in the state. Move here or leave it alone. Everyone knew the laws when they bought ground here. For example : If I could go buy a farm in Montana and not live there and get a resident elk tag every year I would have done it years ago but I know the laws and I can’t change them nor would I try. Or just build a house here and claim residency like most non residents do anyway.

I’m defending medicine after you and others questioned his expenditures as a nrlo. I simply responded factually regarding my expenditures, deductions and how expenditures can add up via schedule f and irs form 179. What’s wrong there?

Don’t talk about incivility. Please. This site has chased every nrlo away except for me and hardwood, but I’m a tough sell.

Keep attacking I’ll keep defending. Personally I don’t care what you think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom