Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

September Salmon in AK

HorseDoctor

PMA Member
Late August & September is the time to be in SE Alaska for Silver (Coho) salmon. Just got back from our annual week trip. Four of us on our boat landed 90 silvers (+ 2 kings) in 4 1/2 days fishing. About 3/4 of them were caught casting with spinning rods. What a blast!!! Also caught lots of halibut, yellow-eye, ling cod & "rockfish". All in all, at the end of the week there were 22 fifty# boxes of fish for guests to take home (600# of salmon & 500# of white fleshed fish) not counting what we ate. ;) May need another freezer before I turn my wife loose deer hunting...:rolleyes:

Eight "guests" spent the week on an 85 foot yacht with 6 crew, including 2 guides & a chef. Big boat tows two 26 foot fishing boats behind it when moving. Gets far away from bigger towns & resorts so fishing pressure is minimal and fishing is significantly better. Each morning after breakfast, 4 people & a guide board each fishing boat and fish. No big runs! We're fishing within minutes. At 5:00 we return to the "mother ship" for cocktails while the guides clean, vacuum pack & flash freeze the days catch. Then sit down to a FRESH seafood dinner prepared by the chef. Pretty much luxury fishing especially as it's all "Inside Passage" waters so no big seas. In the 7 years we've been doing this nobody has ever gotten seasick. A few might have overdone cocktail hour but that doesn't count. :rolleyes:

Lake Michigan salmon are fun but Alaska has way better backdrops for pictures! :D

Congrats!! Count me in as one that is curious what something like that would cost. All of these big Alaska fish pics have me thinking...

Rates are available on their web site http://wildalaskacruises.com/ under the "planning" heading. Lots of good info there but booking dates are not current. Early season dates are more often available but salmon fishing can be a bit iffy then. Best dates are often booked a year or two in advance. Weather can get a little damp & chilly, but late August to mid-September is awesome for Coho especially casting for them instead of trolling. Just the scenery & whale watching would be a great trip. We saw whales, seals , otters and half dozen coastal brown bears sparring for best salmon sites. Call Larry & see what's available. Tell him the horsedoctor from Iowa sent you. Maybe I'll get a price break after seven straight years... ;)

Great outfit! PM me if I can answer any more questions.

Top Bottom