Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF 2011 Youth Season Deer Tag Sales

Fishbonker

Life Member
This bill would allow youth season deer tags to sold when all other tags are sold.

Reads like a "clean up" bill, I just assumed youth tags, even though a youth tag can be used in any season, could be sold in any season. I haven't heard of an issue in this regard, I'd be interested to hear of any negative experiences in youth deer tag purchases.

Introduced in the Senate and referred to the Natural Resources and Environment Committee, no subcommittee assigned yet.

Link to the bill: <Youth Tag Sales>

In the past we have had 2 youths that would go shotgun season with us. If they didn't fill their tag during shotgun we'd offer to take them late muzzy. They were always super busy with school activities during the actual youth season to get out and more than once their dad spaced off buying the tags and once the actual youth season was over they were no longer able to get a youth tag. Wasn't a big deal for us because we could get them antlerless tags but not all counties have that option.

I did the same thing few years ago. Spaced off and forgot to get their youth tags not knowing you couldn't buy them outside of youth season.

I don't see any harm in this one. I've missed getting one for my oldest years back. Had to buy him a regular tag, but would have been nice to pick up the youth tag after youth season.

As long as this is all that is in this one, this sounds like a no brainer. I missed out on both kids this year and they only were able to hunt once as a result. We definitely wanted to get out more than that.

Interesting. On the face of it this seems pretty straight forward.

Are youth turkey tags good for any season and if so, are they available to purchase after youth season closes?

Thanks for the info.

Subcommittee assigned:

Senator Ken Rozenboom District 40 (Appanoose, Mahaska, Monroe and parts of Marion and Wapello Counties) Legislative web page: State Senator (iowa.gov) Email:
[email protected]

Senator Chris Cournoyer Senate District 49 (Clinton and part of Scott Counties) Legislative web page: State Senator (iowa.gov) Email: [email protected]

Senator Nate Boulton Senate District 16 (Des Moines and Pleasant Hill in Polk County) Legislative web page: State Senator (iowa.gov) Email: [email protected]

No date set for meeting.

Interesting. On the face of it this seems pretty straight forward.

Are youth turkey tags good for any season and if so, are they available to purchase after youth season closes?

Thanks for the info.
Yes, and I don't know on the 2nd question as that is not spelled out in the regs.

From regs:
"YOUTH TURKEY HUNTING SEASON (RESIDENTS ONLY) Hunters younger than 16 years old on the day they purchase a license may participate in the Youth Turkey Season. The Youth Wild Turkey License will be a Combination Gun/ Bow License valid statewide. The youth does not have to have a Hunting License or have completed a hunter education course in order to participate. A Youth Season License is valid for the Youth Season or if unfilled may be used in any other spring season."

I don't have an issue with this, but come on guys. If you care about your kids hunting deer all 5 months long, you can surely remember to buy the tag during youth season - that season alone is 18 days long. This started as "let the kids have a season to themselves", then went to "if they just could not get it done youth season, let them try in one more season", then it became "if they fail in youth, let them try in all the other seasons", now it is "don't bother hunting youth and just hunt all the other seasons".

As I said, I won't object. But, certainly are far better things to be taking up our legislature's time than dealing with parents who can't remember to buy a tag in an 18 day window.

Yes, and I don't know on the 2nd question as that is not spelled out in the regs.

From regs:
"YOUTH TURKEY HUNTING SEASON (RESIDENTS ONLY) Hunters younger than 16 years old on the day they purchase a license may participate in the Youth Turkey Season. The Youth Wild Turkey License will be a Combination Gun/ Bow License valid statewide. The youth does not have to have a Hunting License or have completed a hunter education course in order to participate. A Youth Season License is valid for the Youth Season or if unfilled may be used in any other spring season."

I don't have an issue with this, but come on guys. If you care about your kids hunting deer all 5 months long, you can surely remember to buy the tag during youth season - that season alone is 18 days long. This started as "let the kids have a season to themselves", then went to "if they just could not get it done youth season, let them try in one more season", then it became "if they fail in youth, let them try in all the other seasons", now it is "don't bother hunting youth and just hunt all the other seasons".

As I said, I won't object. But, certainly are far better things to be taking up our legislature's time than dealing with parents who can't remember to buy a tag in an 18 day window.
It's not always the parents taking the child. For instance my sister is dead set against hunting. Finally convinced her to let my dad take her son, my nephew, deer hunting. She didn't give the go ahead until after youth season was over. That meant we had to pick a season and stick with it. With kids in other activities it's not like they can hunt every day either. Not a huge deal, but would have been nice for the kid to get a floating tag. And in contrast a resident landowner could buck hunt from October 1st until January 1st with only 2 days in that span they couldn't hunt so why not kids too?

Maybe a little off base but is it still required that the “chaperone” be unarmed when using the floating tag? It used to be that way so I always ended up purchasing a tag for the kid in the season we were in so I could hunt also. (Shotgun or ML) The rules are stated in bold, “party hunting is not allowed regardless of the season.”

Maybe a little off base but is it still required that the “chaperone” be unarmed when using the floating tag? It used to be that way so I always ended up purchasing a tag for the kid in the season we were in so I could hunt also. (Shotgun or ML) The rules are stated in bold, “party hunting is not allowed regardless of the season.”
I always thought the party hunting was not allowed meant the youth hunter must shoot and tag their own deer. So their tag couldn't be used on someone else's deer and vice versa. Maybe I was not interpreting that correctly.

I always thought the party hunting was not allowed meant the youth hunter must shoot and tag their own deer. So their tag couldn't be used on someone else's deer and vice versa. Maybe I was not interpreting that correctly.
That's how I've always interpreted it. We have a few youth hunters in our group and their "golden ticket" tags are only filled by themselves. We always have plenty of antlerless tags so kids can hold out for a buck and still partake in the deer management side of things... a.k.a. "if it's brown it's down"

Maybe it has changed then. I’ve never purchased a tag for youth season because I was told that we had to follow the rules for the season it was purchased for. The tag was good for any season but I couldn’t carry a weapon. I will ck with the local officer and see what I’m told now.

I've done this check and have written response from Iowa DNR attesting to the following
*You can hunt within a group on a youth tag.
*The chaperone cannot carry a gun.
*The youth must tag any deer they shoot and must cease hunting once the tag is filled. Anything else violates the party hunt rule. So they cannot do brown it's down and fill others doe tags and their tag cannot be used by another successful hunter.

Now, if the doe tag were under their name, you may have a case to be in the clear

Top Bottom