Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF 581 Returns from last year

Fishbonker

Life Member
Here is the bill from last year in its final Senate form after several amendments:

Link: <Deep population control>

It is now in the House Ways and Means Committee and has been appointed a subcommittee.

Representative Charlie McConkey [email protected]
Representative Carter Nordman [email protected]
Representative Joe Mitchell

No meeting date/time has been set as of yet.

Here is a link to one of last year's multiple threads on this bill:

<one of last years threads>

There were several others as well.

Sorry for my ignorance...but is this bill essentially opening up all rifle cartridges?
Looks like those calibers would be legal during the late antlerless season, don’t believe it would be for regular gun seasons. Either way if this passes it won’t be long before they are allowed during the regular gun seasons, I’m sure that’s their goal, chip away a little at a time.

Looks like those calibers would be legal during the late antlerless season, don’t believe it would be for regular gun seasons. Either way if this passes it won’t be long before they are allowed during the regular gun seasons, I’m sure that’s their goal, chip away a little at a time.
That's always been their goal.

Rifles are here now. 350 and 450s as you know. Door open and will not be closed. Straight wall, pinched, whatever. They’re here unfortunately

@Windlooker, while the door has been cracked with the straight-wall cartridges, there is a major difference in range and accuracy with necked cartridges. I don't want necked cartridges but it isn't the worst part of this bill.

IMO the biggest issue with SF 581 is the decrease in penalties for deer poaching. Antlered or not, they are the same species and a HUGE devaluation in the perceived value of wildlife. It's a slap in the face to the North American Model of Conservation.

I just got a call from the President of the Iowa Conservation Alliance. For those of you who haven't ever heard of the ICA it is a group of Associations whose goals are similar in the conservation of fish and wildlife. I can't remember all of the members off the top of my head but there are a lot. Whitetails Unlimited is a member of the ICA. If you are a member of WTU the ICA would like you to mention that you are a member of WTU when you contact your legislator. WTU does not have much of a political presence in Iowa other than the ICA, but they have a lot of name recognition. All the pressure anyone can bring to bear on this bill will help.

Watched a guy drop 5 of 5 into a pie plate sized target from 300 with a 450. Don’t think we’re shootin deer farther than that in Iowa

Good news. This one is dead.

Screenshot_20220223-140621_Gmail.jpg

I saw the cancellation this afternoon and I have become so cynical that I assumed the meeting was cancelled due to its early (0745) start time. Let's hope it is indeed D-E-A-D!

Top Bottom