Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed season over: I found IT!!!

JNRBRONC

The search is over!

Lwt6JWmh.jpg

Maybe 5 or 6 years ago, I found a spike shed. I ordered two German Solingen letter opener rat tail tanged blades. I made one up and gave it to one of our sons.
BfjN3hvh.jpg

Well, it took me this long to find a second usable spike, found it yesterday (above field ATL pic).

So time to quick assemble the second one to gift to our other son, before letters in the mail are a thing of the past and this item becomes a museum piece, LOL.
c79DmNqh.jpg

PdcijkFh.jpg

How long have you searched? I'm could have sent you one to save you some time ;) Where did you get the blade and how did you insert it?
I've been looking for around 5 years for a spike. I found one two years ago but it had a couple of squirrel chew marks. I thought that added "nature" to it, but I was over ruled on using it. Me finding the shed was a major point of it instead of out sourcing one.

I ordered the letter opener blades from Germany. A company named Solingen is pretty famous for their steel. When I looked at their website today, I did not see them listed, maybe discontinued. The tang of the blade is basically straight with a spiral flute. Get the drill bit box out, try to insert the tang in the empty space where you just pulled the bit out of. If it's a snug fit, that's the bit one wants. Drill into the end of the antler, test the fit. Mix up 5 minute epoxy, stuff some in the hole in the antler, smear some on the tang, insert and adjust angle of blade. Let set.

Top Bottom