Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shoot or Pass?

doublerack

I know this buck to be at least 5yrs old, maybe 6. I know his genetics too. He looks exactly like an 8pt from 2009 that kept all the bigger yet less aggressive bucks off my property. I'm sure he's related. Above average 8pt rack, giant 300 lb body. Bad temperment too.
I've wrapped my tag around 6yr old cull bucks the last 2 years in a row and I would really like to hold out this year. What would you guys do?
5604-bigbody8.jpg

Here is the buck I think he shares genetics with…
5604-picture1375.jpg

Last edited:
if I knew this deer was 6 years old- he would be on my hit list for sure. If I had a booner on camera I may be more patient- or get someone else in front of this deer at some point. But that size of body and 6 years old- I don't really see a jump in inches for this deer- shoot IMO

Consistently shooting 6 yr olds means your doing something right.

I agree with above. If you got bigger deer to hunt, then why not let someone come in early and try to hunt him. May be a good candidate for a youth season hunter.

I'd shoot him unless you know for sure a bigger one is close. He could be bullying your bigger ones away.

I agree with the above statements. Shoot for sure unless you know there is something more special around.

if I knew this deer was 6 years old- he would be on my hit list for sure. If I had a booner on camera I may be more patient- or get someone else in front of this deer at some point. But that size of body and 6 years old- I don't really see a jump in inches for this deer- shoot IMO

Agreed...he's definitely a fully mature animal...regardless of rack size, he is a true trophy.

FWIW, we have one buck for sure, and possibly a second, that fit this category on our farm this year. At this stage, my my #1 target for 2015 is a buck very much like yours...a six year old hoss, with a modest rack relative to his body size and age.

Last edited:
You guys certainly are in a different class from my property. That is a dead buck if in front of me.! Antlers beyond the ears,,mature body,,heck, who cares about the rack. Looks mature. Buck I got last Nov, looked old to me. No big Boone points, though very thick bases. But looked mature. All that matters to me. Turned out he was at least 6 yrd old. Biologist will let me know for sure this fall.

He's a shooter. I'd be shooting him or lining up a youth hunter,buddy,or relative to take him out. If he's a bully he is keeping bigger bucks from calling your property home most likely.

Like others have said 6 year old=trophy. Its just as hard to kill a 130" 6 year old as it is a 230" 6 year old.

That being said, if you are tired of cull buck hunting, find a kid. Win-Win. Buck you want gone gets shot, you are a superhero to a youth, and your property is better for it.

The way it sounds if he is that big of a bully you or someone needs to take him out...... I just hope his name isn't "Cecil":grin:

Agree, old mature buck 6 years old needs to be harvested if not by you find someone to do it! Always easier said than done with a 6 year old! Trophy no matter what the inches add up to

That decision can only be made by the shooter. Doesn't really matter what other armchair hunters think when it comes down to it.

I would shoot him late season that would give u a chance to shoot a bigger one with the bow if that is what you are looking to do.No guarantee u will shoot him either way though better odds with the muzzy though.

Do you have a larger one that you are chasing? Would you shoot that buck without regrets? Are Harvesting 4yr and older deer the main goal you have, or are you really looking for deer that will be 150+?

Lots of variables to consider. In the end, it's all up to you. Hunt to make you happy.

Top Bottom