Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot a Tank tonight

Trapshooter1

Didnt hunt this morning because of all the high winds.
But pulled the boss buck out of the shed for this evenings hunt. Got the Boss set up on the clearest area of the farm(farm is 20 acres) so he d be visible. And I Set up on the ground 22 yards down wind.(Still fairly windy out) started to rattle and grunt. Nothing for about 40 minutes.
Then the wind starts to die off a little so i grabbed the antlers and cracked em together and was fairly vocal with the grunt tube.
I hear leaves crackling, so I get ready, wasn't 20 seconds he was standing at 45 yards, Just raking the crap out of the scrape. He comes out, and Immediately locks onto the boss(stiff legged), he closes the distance fast to 18 yards. I get drawn when he s basically looking at me, (I had good back cover, but the grass around me was very little) Got drawn and sent one through the upper shoulder. 80 yards later there he lays.
(Not sure on age) Couple friends think he s 4
Not the biggest antlered deer I've ever shot, But by far the biggest body. I couldn't move him by myself.

For reference I'm 6'1" and about 235

Attachments

• Snapchat-38060078.jpg
    Snapchat-38060078.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 237
  • Snapchat-1799267595.jpg
    Snapchat-1799267595.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Nice buck! Congrats!! I must say that I don't think that I have ever seen a "hero" photo where the hunter is laying next to the quarry as in your second pic...but I like it. :) Just a little tip though...(something I have picked up looking at other guys pics)...lay about 10' behind your buck next time...that way he will look even bigger than he does in that pic! :)

For real though, that is a nice one, plenty of meals there.

Was not able to weigh the buck, Dont have a scale. After shooting my last 2 bucks off of the ground, I almost like it better than hunting out of a tree.(Its more personal and challenging) Hunting off the ground was kind of inspired by Zach Farenbaugh from THP.
I like the aspect of not being limited to such and such area because there's no trees over there. And you can be aggressive if you know there's a high probably bedding area, Use the wind to your advantage and sneak in close to a bedding area, and coax a buck out.
(Also about calling, It seems to me if you can get inside their "Bubble") Your odds increase big time.

(The big thing is not to get pinned after you rattle and grunt, Hence the Boss Buck) The boss definitely helps draw the attention away from you.

Last edited:
Congrats! Ya- ur feeding fam for winter on that dude! Sounds like perfectly executed hunt, well done!!

Top Bottom